General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 RangeRover Classic ABS is broken but no fault codes are showing up

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 RangeRover Classic ABS is broken but no fault codes are showing up

I need some help. I have so far been through every wire in my abs system with a multimeter, taken the abs pump apart to make sure everything was still functioning, and replaced the accumulator. I have also flushed and bled the entire brake system twice.

The problem started about 3 months ago. The abs system started coming on during normal stopping at any speed and pulsing until I slow to less than 15 mph. There are no fault codes in the abs computer ( I tried the blink method of checking it), and there are no warning lights on. I went through the manual and checked resistances at the abs ECU, and at the master cylinder for everything. Everything checked out well within the specifications described in the manual.

At this point I am at a complete loss of what to do. The only thing I can think of at this point is that the ECU itself is faulty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have an ABS speed sensor problem. They are located on the axle at each wheel. Download the service manual. It will assist you in replacing them.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 PM
5th Gear

I have checked the resistance of the wheel sensors and they are are all around 1.7 kili-ohms.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the plugs. They might be corroded, check the gear inside as well. The only time the ABS will kick in is if the vehicle is picking up wheel slippage. This usually points to the wheel sensors.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 PM
5th Gear

Ok. I'll give that a try. Do you think that there could be damage to the exciter ring on the axle shaft? Also the wires to the brake wear sensor were cut at some point. I reconnected them, but they may be crossed. Could it be something that simple?