General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 RRC no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 RRC no start

ive got a crank no start condition on my 1991 RRC. all the ignition parts are relatively new, so im pretty sure its not spark related. im leaning towards a fuel pump for two basic reasons, 1> prevoius knowledge tells me that these fuel pumps go dead around 70k miles, and im at 150k which puts me about in business for a second one, and 2> the fuel gauge doesnt reach above 3/4 tank, and as i remember it the sender is integral to the fuel pump.

id really like to be able to test fuel pressure before i replace the pump, since they are still so expensive, but i cant find a schroeder valve on the fuel rail anywhere. can anyone tell me where i might find a test port, and what kind of pressure i should get from this pump?

thanks, alex.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Drifting
Default RE: 91 RRC no start

I had a similar situation recently and upon removing the tank to look at the pump - I found a burnt connection on the pump INSIDE the tank. I decided to look at aftermarket solutions as I didn't want to have to address a repair like this in a remote area ( imagine trying to find an applicable pump in the middle of nowhere ) and I , frankly , didn't like the idea of sparks and burning wires inside a vessel filled with fuel and fumes. I used a Carter P5000 In line pump and with a little bit of cutting and rearranging of the factory hard-lines and some good fuel hose I have a very nice installation and it works great! I tucked it up behind the tank , and ran the fuel lines along the top of the fuel filler hose so any sticks or rocks would not easily damage it. The wiring is al there from the factory and only needs to be re-routed. I highly recommend this set up. It was less than 150.00 total and a few hours of fun - I mean work. I have pictures as well if needed.

This is , of course , if it's your pump .... if not.... as Roseanne Roseannadana would say ..... "Nevermind"

Cheers !

Old 09-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Drifting

thanks for the tip. i also found instructions for brush replacement at rangerovers.net. they say if youre careful not to break anything during the dismantle, you can put new brushes in your old pump and have a working unit for under $5.00US. they also have a good list of pumps that will fit as direct replacements for much less that rover genuine parts.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Drifting

I have heard of those options as well. Unfortunately they will put you in the same spot when they fail again. I have heard from many Rover technicians that the majority of towed in Classics are there do to failed fuel pumps , dirty or bad fuel pump wiring or a combination of the those.

Best of luck with your repair and rig - I bet you will find LOTS and LOTS of fun , beautiful places to take it in Colorado.

Cheers !!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Drifting

thanks for all the help and tips, i pulled the old pump unit apart to rebrush, but found that the leads inside the pump itself going to the brushes were burnt to a crisp and wouldnt solder well into a new set, so i ended up putting in a new pump anyhow. runs great though, so im satisfied enough. although, now my fuel gauge doesnt read at all. i cant figure why, all the wiring is the same as when i pulled the old one out. suspecting a bad ground, but havent had time to get back under the access panel and find out yet.