General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 LWB Surging forward

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:31 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LWB Surging forward

When accelerating from a stop, my Rover takes off on me (ok slight exaggeration) early on - maybe 2nd gear? I can't tell if this is a "slip" in the tranny or is something malfunctioning and telling the engine to kick in. I doesn't feel like a slipping transmission to me, but i'm not very mechanical.

It happens at slow acceleration. If i stomp on it from a stop - it doesn't seem to happen. This is a new problem, so i may be a little light on information. It may happen more when the vehicle is warm, not sure.

Also, a few days before this started, i was getting a belt squeeking sound. I popped the hood and the belt is fairly tight, i can push down on it a bit but it doesn't seem too unusual to me. Should that thing be super tight??

Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 95 LWB Surging forward

Try starting up with the tranny in first gear and manually upshifting, how does it feel?
May have a shift cable issue, dirty t/body, vacuum leak or a tranny in trouble. When was the tranny lasy serviced?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
4th Gear

errrrr..... not sure about the last service, i will do some checking. I will try manual upshift too and get back to you.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 PM
4th Gear

ok the only thing i can find is that in 2001 i had a transmission cooler line replaced. BTW i bought it in 2000 with 118k on it, now it has 149k. Needless to say it has been parked a few times since i have owned it.

So, i'm sure regardless of what is up you will recommend having the tranny serviced. Is it best to go to the dealership? I don't really have an independent shop that favors old Range Rovers that i'm aware of. I live in Bath Maine.

I tried the manual upshift a few times. It certainly has all gears and holds till i up shift but some of the time the tach zooms up (and so does the engine) before the next gear takes hold. No clunking or anything either in automatic or manual upshift.

Since i first posted last week - the other day my tach was "stuck" at 1,100 rpm. I thought this was the beginiing of the end, belt squeek sound came back at the same time. The next time i started it, all was back to normal - except for the Surge on acceleration that made me post in the first place.

I hope this helps. I'm stuck. Any ideas??

Old 09-29-2008, 02:07 PM
4th Gear

One more thing. Driving to work this morning the tach was stuck at about 1,100 again. I shut the AC off and it immediatetly jumped to normal.

???