General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 P38 PLease Help!!!OVERHEATING and WEIRD starts w no key!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 P38 PLease Help!!!OVERHEATING and WEIRD starts w no key!

I have owned my 99 Range Rover 4.0 for 7 years- I moved the truck from Michigan to hot as hell Florida 2 years ago and it hasnt been the same since-

Its been overheating...I drive about 5 miles and temp gauge gradually goes up all the way. Thermostats been changed- relay box changed- ac condenser fans replaced- clutch fan looks and feels strong- coolant cap replaced- radiator flushed-no coolant in oil or white smoke. 3 mechanics said probably head gaskets but not showing the symptoms.

The other very strange thing is that the truck tries to start on its own!! Today the key was turned off and out of ignition. we connected batt cable and truck tried turning over.Then I put the key in the III position and it will actually turn over. When i turn it back to I position it cranks!? Can anyone please give me some insight on WTF could be going on?? BECM?? I need my Rangie Fixed. I dont even think dealer will deal w her with out an estimate double of what it was worth in proper running condition-Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your radiator might be up for replacement. When the vehicle gets up to operating temperature feel the bottom and top radiator hoses. The one on the bottom should be cooler than the one on top. Does the temp go up while idling, driving, or under load? To rule out head gaskets even further, you should take the spark plugs out and inspect them. If one is really clean then you have a blown head gasket. Is the system pressurizing properly? The hoses should be firm, but not bulging or too squishy when the car is warmed up. Lastly, was the cooling system burped properly? That can cause overheating issues too.

You might also consider getting a scan gauge and see what the actual temperature is.

The other very strange thing is that the truck tries to start on its own!!
I've heard of this happening before on another forum. I cannot remember the exact solution, but it turned out to be a stuck relay or something of that nature.

Last edited by LRScott; 01-23-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 PM
4wd Low
Default Overheating and WEIRD start

Thank you Scott.Tuck seems to overheat only when driving. Its idled for almost an hour in driveway without overheating.I had replaced the relay box as relays 6 and 7 were burned out (common problem?)and the board looked fried. I thought maybe that had something to do with the overheating. Hoses seems to be a normal pressure. I dont think we've checked temp of lower hose. Ill see what I can do. Can you rent a temp scan gauge at an auto parts place? One of the mechaics I took it too is a big Rover guy w Rover scan tool..but he is used to the older Rovers defernders and discos.I dont thisk hes ever worked on a P38. He seemed frustrated and pushed me off.

Thank you kindly for your input!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably head gaskets do a coolant test check for exhaust gas in the coolant tank...two cents

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Relays 6 and 7 fail because of HVAC issues. When was the last time you change your cabin filters? Check for open book icon on heater controls. Also when the relays over heat they can fry the fuse box. That could be causing electrical gremlins.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First verify the temperature. If your rover is a GEMS like mine, the temperature gauge will sometimes spike when there is an electrical gremlin. I remember when I first got mine, I thought it was over heating. I replaced the fan clutch did a radiator flow test and was about ready to do the head gaskest. The mechanic I brought it to used an infrared heat gun and told me that it wasn't overheating. I turns out that the voltage regulator (which autozone and the like can test) was on its way out and causing my temp gauge to also act as a volt meter lol. What would happen with mine, when it reached operating temp, the more electronics and power being used, the "hotter" the temp gauge reading.

To test it on yours, try letting it get to operating temperature and then turn on the defrosters and turn your lights on. Then see the temp gauges reaction.

If its a BOSCH rover... it probably is overheating.

This is the difference between the two: http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/boschvsgems.cfm

Last edited by LRScott; 01-24-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
4wd Low
Default Overheating and WEIRD start

The cabin filters and the relay box were replaced as soon as i noticed 6&7 issues about a year ago. I never even knew they existed until I had the relay problems.Can the HVAC display being out cause over heat? Hvac display is very dim,heating and cooling work intermittently, and the fan control **** feels stiff and doesnt move as freely. I do not want to drop another $200 into it if my truck is wasted.

As for WEIRD ghost start...this seems to be my new priority issue. Once the neg battery cable is connected the truck tries to start all by itself!!! no key in ignition!!....These issues scream electrical (No?)Im just a girl!!! I need a Rover angel to come help! Thanks for all the replies...

Last edited by nicklaeena; 01-26-2013 at 08:37 AM.