General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Satellite Radio

I've recently purchased a 2004 RR 4.4 HSE. There are a few options lacking that I have grown quite accustomed to having: no auto headlights, doesn't play MP3 discs or have auxiliary inputs for MP3 player and most disturbingly no Sirius.Haven't yet located anyone at the dealership who seems to have much working knowledge of retrofitting the vehicle to accept it.When I opened the Nav DVD access panel in the rear cargo area I noticed a Sirius antenna wire as part of one of the wiring harnesses. Now to my question; is this radio head unit Sirius capable and just lacking the receiver? Was Sirius an option on this vehicle in '04? I also cannot determine where the other end of the antenna wire is, I don't see anything on top of the vehicle that looks like any satellite antenna I've ever seen. What is going to be my most effective & efficient means of getting Sirius into this vehicle by utilizing existing & available RR components? I'd like the install to appear seemless, I'd rather not have a lot of aftermarket ancillary devices mounted all over the place.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9827/1791616BB5684C348309586E71224ABC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Adding Satellite Radio

Sorry but 04 rovers did not come with the option of sirius . if your trying to have a stock sirius setup its going to be too expensive you basically need a new screen new nav module new sirius module new antenna and a most network but your better off going aftermarket. ive installed some and all the rovers that year ive seen the control is mounted in the sunglass holder panel something you can do yourself very easy.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Drifting

socalrover84: Thanks for the info. Rover is at the dealship this week for a hardcore detail. I've asked them the same question but they haven't yet responded. I'm completely capable & willing to do the aftermarket install myself, I just like to keep these guys on the hook for as much of the content as possible since the vehicle is certified. I like the idea of putting the control in the sunglass holder, I was concerned about it looking obtrusive out on the dash somewhere.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Three Wheeling

no problem and just to let you know most rover dealerships have an audio aftermarket source that they deal with the install aftermarket tvs for lr3s and sirus stuff so they'll probably refer you to it and it will still be covered in their warranty but you could do it yourself its quite easy and yeah the best one i've seen the one we do is in the sunglass holder.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2003 RR HSE and added Sirius satellite radio to my audio system in a completely integrated fashion. I ordered factory correct '06 BMW X5-sourced parts (shared with the '03-'04 RR). All info and parts can be found at www.bimmernav.com. In order to make the upgrade you need to change out the trunk-mounted radio module with the '06, upgrade the trunk mounted navigation computer from the CD-ROM Mk III to the DVD-based Mk IV. Finally, you can install the BMW-made Sirius trunk box which uses a slightly modified wiring harness between the nav computer and the radio. On these vehicles, you use the supplied Sirius roof mount antenna.

I got all the parts together and my local audio shop installed everthing in about an hour and a half for $150. Now when I turn on the radio, I get "Sirius", the channel type, number, artist, etc. No outside controllers or buttons -- it's completely integrated.

Chris

[IMG]local://upfiles/9925/4E81BD5A890544399E54E118A67D04C8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the info Chris. Checked out the web site. This looks like the best way to do it. I may go for the MP3 cd changer as well.