General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air suspension wierd issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension wierd issue

I went mountain biking on Saturday, I did a small amount of offroading to get where I was biking. Just a few small ditches, a couple hills, one section of water roughly 2 feet deep. Nothing my truck hasn't done many times in the past. On the drive home, I heard a loud hissing noise. I had a passenger in the rear on drivers side and a passenger in front on the passenger side, as well as myself driving. All three of us are certain the noise came from the passenger side of the truck. The suspension was in the low mode (not access, but low) and all four corners are staying perfectly level and off the bump stops. However, the truck will not air up at all now. What little of the air lines I can see all look intact, the compressor is pumping, and I can't hear any leaks.

Any clue what I should look for, or where to start?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For starters what year is the Rover?

Does the hissing go away when the truck is not running? Does it only do it when the compressor is running? Has there been a fault message of any kind? A little bottle of soapy water goes a long way and spray it along all the lines and see where there is some air bubbles.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by handsome rob
For starters what year is the Rover?
1999 P38 4.6HSE

Does the hissing go away when the truck is not running?
Does it only do it when the compressor is running?
The only time it made the noise was the once on the road. It now makes no hissing noise at all. The suspension does not go any further down while sitting, but it also won't raise up any further when I try to raise it. There is no noise from leaking air any where. The air bags are holding air and the compressor is running, it's somewhere in between.

Has there been a fault message of any kind?
Nope, no faults messages at all (with the exception of Bonnet Open which I still have no clue how to get rid of).

A little bottle of soapy water goes a long way and spray it along all the lines and see where there is some air bubbles.
The air lines are tucked up in the frame pretty good, the ones that are visible are not leaking. I can't see most of them though.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Drifting

Anyone have an idea on this one? I'm stumped. Also, is there a way to bypass the compressor and air up the suspension another way?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Rock Crawling

They do make many different manual inflate kits. They are pretty nice to have. You can use the air at a gas station to fill it up. Some of them you can install to completely bypass the EAS system and others are designed to work along with it to use when you have a malfunction.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Drifting

I was checking those out after I posted, I think I'm going to build one of my own simce they're pretty simple. At least with that I can find my leak without running the compressor non-stop.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so does it not level at all when you first get and it is staying at the same height no matter what right?

I am thinking it is something to do with the either the height lock out or the actual height mechanism itself since it wont change at all. Even if the compressor was not working if you opended the rear doors or the hatch it should drop a little sensing that you may be loading something.

If the hissing is gone then there would not be a leak, especially if the bags are not dropping in height. I would build your own bypass for when you need it but you may also want to check the height rocker switch and see if that is your problem. It may veen be that you shook a connector loose while off road and so it not communicating properly.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Drifting

Okay, so does it not level at all when you first get and it is staying at the same height no matter what right?

I am thinking it is something to do with the either the height lock out or the actual height mechanism itself since it wont change at all. Even if the compressor was not working if you opended the rear doors or the hatch it should drop a little sensing that you may be loading something.

If the hissing is gone then there would not be a leak, especially if the bags are not dropping in height. I would build your own bypass for when you need it but you may also want to check the height rocker switch and see if that is your problem. It may veen be that you shook a connector loose while off road and so it not communicating properly.
I'm thinking that this is not the case, but I definitely want to check just to make sure. What would I look for? The switch on the dash is good, it shows that its trying to adjust heights but it doesn't move at all. This all happened about 30 min after I was done offroading, I had been driving a steady speed down the hwy for at least 30 minutes and then I heard the hissing. It was only brief hissing, but ever since then it won't raise up at all (currently in low mode).

Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Drifting

I busted out the trusty EAS Unlock and ran the pump with the truck off. I can definitely hear air leaking above the right rear air bag. Of course, I can't see anything up there with the bag still attached. Next question, how do I get it off? I have the lower and upper retaining pins removed, the lower part comes off but the top will not come down.

Last edited by Jeff g; 07-15-2010 at 09:08 PM.