General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amazing sight

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 01:56 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amazing sight

Today, August 19, 2005, there was a flood here in Toronto. Well not one, but several areas (roads) were flooded. I mean we saw some of the worst weather we've seen in a long time. Hail, tornadoes, you name it.

Anyway, I was standing outside with many others after the rain had stopped. We were watching this valley area, and the water had flooded onto the road. Imagine water at least a foot deep in the lowest area. There were several cars trapped, minivans and full size vans mostly. They weren't just in their lanes, either, they had tried to pass the water but couldn't, and were pointing in various directions. I believe it was a result of water entering their engine and drowning it out. I saw some vans later, and water was coming out of the tailpipe.

Back to the story. So someone next to me said "Hey look! Here comes a Rover! If it makes it through, it'd make a good commercial!" I was upset that I didn't have my camera with me, but what a sight!

There are several cars stalled, deep in water, and there comes this late-model Range Rover (a beautiful dark green) come plowing through the water, leaving a wake like a cruise ship. The waves even swept back to where some people were standing on the (flooded) sidewalks!

Once it was fully out of the water, it stopped. Some people thought it had stalled, but I was so excited. I think I shouted out something like "Check it out! Air suspension!" I could see a family in the vehicle, and the (proud) father flicked a switch and with everyone's full attention, it clearly dropped height, and he cruised on like nothing happened.

It came back later, headed in the other direction, and I was laughing so hard cause I thought he was trying to rub it in everyone's face that the Rover could make it again; that the first time wasn't just luck. Truth was, even after he had passed this flood, down the road, there was an even DEEPER flood. I mean, water was flowing over a guardrail, so you can imagine. Even a Hummer H1 Alpha (do I get kicked out just for mentioning that here? ) with a freakin' 16 inches of ground clearance couldn't make it.

But yeah, I was so happy to see an SUV do what people always scoff at. "Pfft who needs ground clearance?" they say. This is the prime example. I must say it was picture perfect. If only I had my camera. Perfect commercial, right there.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Amazing sight

LOL reminds me of the time I accidentally stood my 94 RR county on the front 2 tires with 3 1/2 feet of air between the back tires and the ground and DIDN'T roll it!! Just think what you could do with a good snorkel 8)