General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD CV Copycat Noise????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Ali
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD CV Copycat Noise????

I was have bad clicking/grinding metal noise when turning. From everything I have read I diagnosed as bad CV's.

Pulled them out today, and they appear to be fine. PAssenger side was a little dry. but no visible damage to the components. Could the damage to the cv joints be non visible to the eye and only fail under stress, i.e. when turning?? If he issue was in the pumpkin (ie gears) wouldn't I feel it all the time.

What else could be causing the noise (and it sounds bad!!!!) that would make me feel it in the steering wheel and also only when turning???

When driving straight it seems fine, no vibration etc.

REally need Help!!! Thanks Ali

Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BAD CV Copycat Noise????

Could be the steering wheel dampener. If damaged it can leak its fluid and cause a horrible clunk sound when turning the wheel. This would be my guess.

If it's the cv joints I think you'd be able to tell... and I think you're correct in regards to the gears. Could try jacking the vehicle at the front and moving the steering wheel and seeing if the noise still occurs. If it still makes the noise i'd probably rule out the cv joints.

Let us know if that diagnose and/or are able to fix it!

Regards