Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Springs bad shocks? Disco 2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bad Springs bad shocks? Disco 2?

well im trying to decide if my shocks or springs may be bad and contributing to the bouncy feeling when around 30ish... when I turn corners at low speed the disco rocks back and forth a few times and I feel a little on a teeter toder... is this just inherent to these vehicles or is this bad springs? 03 Disco 92k

Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Hard to answer definitively but with that mileage it's time to replace both the shocks and springs.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by coors
Hard to answer definitively but with that mileage it's time to replace both the shocks and springs.
yeah... thats what Im thinking.. Im not sure if it supposed to do that some or not... by looking at truck is there any way to tell if those are good or bad? Nothing looks sagging that I can tell.... Id sure hate to replace good springs and shocks with good springs and shocks... lol my symptoms are... when turning to left I get a wheel going DDDDDDDD fort a second and occasionally when going over a speed pump slowly its kinda of THUNK THUNK... as if everything is really stiff... and of course maneuvering a turn get a quick see-saw action.. not a smooth fluid flow through the turn... since never driving a new one.. I dont know if thats normal or not... there is also a little slop on towing jet ski once

Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Replace all 4 springs and shocks along with a steering stabilizer and your truck will regain its original ride.
Have any idea who's lift you ar going to use and can you install it?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Winching
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Replace all 4 springs and shocks along with a steering stabilizer and your truck will regain its original ride.
Have any idea who's lift you ar going to use and can you install it?
I figured id go with terrafirma 2" lift kit maybe luckey8? I mostly stay on street an occassionally offroad and or trails... Im not into muddy but i love the MOAB rock climbing but nothing really extreme until this is my 2nd rover lol

Also, yes I can do the work if I have time, but time is the biggest of my issues... money a little tight that prevents a retail install... What i cant see is any sag or Anything when its sitting (would I?) ... I do not have the sls so thats good ....

Last edited by dparham; 04-19-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...love the terrafirma 2inch medium duty. i'm not an offroader tho.

...why does it have to be springs and shocks? why can't it be bushings or sway bar links or something?

....just saying, mine was doing something similar and I redid the suspension bits.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
...love the terrafirma 2inch medium duty. i'm not an offroader tho.

...why does it have to be springs and shocks? why can't it be bushings or sway bar links or something?

....just saying, mine was doing something similar and I redid the suspension bits.
well it could be but Ive looked under it and it seems ok except a cracked boot on drivers ball joint...

Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe i'll add a question here....

i'm redoing all the suspension bushings, links, tie rods and ball joints.

how do i know if my shocks and springs are still good? I don't know how long they have been on the vehicle.

should i fix everything else and then just drive it?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
maybe i'll add a question here....

i'm redoing all the suspension bushings, links, tie rods and ball joints.

how do i know if my shocks and springs are still good? I don't know how long they have been on the vehicle.

should i fix everything else and then just drive it?
Hahaha yup thats the question ive been asking for awhile but I guess there is no way to test just assume lol

Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Check your watts linkage bushings. They can cause a low speed clunk and movement. Lucky8 has a youtube video on checking them. Its very simple.

Quick Reply: Bad Springs bad shocks? Disco 2?