General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery being drained of power every two days. Whats up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery being drained of power every two days. Whats up?

My 1992 Range Rover keeps draining its battery every two days. Even when it is sitting still. I checked the alternator and it is good. The car stays on when I remove the battery terminal. It has strong lights when running. I leave it along for a day or two and I find the battery to be dead. This would make me think that a light is on in the car but no such luck. I removed all the bulbs. This Range Rover is fully equipped even has gremlins. Any idea what could be causing the battery drain. The battery charges ok every time.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery being drained of power every two days. Whats up?

no lights at all on? like glove box, or brake lights, can you hear anything runng, like electrical motor sounds? anything pluged into cig lighter?

Old 08-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Overlanding

I can't hear a thing on. That is the weird part. I have no lighter in the car. When you say glovebox you mean console right? My console is broken. It doesn't have the armrest. If there is a glove box where do I find it?
I purchased this truck just 5 days ago. Its my first Range Rover. It is truly a dream to drive.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Evian

I can't hear a thing on. That is the weird part. I have no lighter in the car. When you say glovebox you mean console right? My console is broken. It doesn't have the armrest. If there is a glove box where do I find it?
I purchased this truck just 5 days ago. Its my first Range Rover. It is truly a dream to drive.
Glove box is in front of the passenger

Old 08-18-2005, 02:58 AM
Overlanding

I looked there and didn't see any handles or buttons to push in to open any door. Your Range Rover looks like a newer model. Mine is a 1992 model. Any idea on how to open it?

Old 08-18-2005, 11:18 AM
4th Gear

Your model does not have a "glove box".
You have a tray on top of the dash instead.

look under your passenger seat and your drivers seat for extra fuse locations in addition to the fuse panel in the middle of the dash. Remove fuses til you find one that archs and makes a circuit.

My '93 classic is draining the battery a similar way and it's the air suspension. I can remove the fuse under the side panel of the passenger seat and stop the discharge of the battery.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Overlanding

Thanks Headman I will do this. It sound like it will work. Thanks again!

Old 09-29-2005, 10:21 AM
7th Gear

My 1992 has the same 2-day battery life and I tracked it back to the fuel injection ECU. With the key off, it's drawing about 3 amps and slowly drops to 1.95 amps after about 10 minutes. I'm wondering if my rich mixture and sooty plugs and oxygen sensor problems are related to the ECU battery drain. I installed a lighted switch to cut power to the ECU but that's a far cry from being the right thing to do. Works for now until I have more time to flush out the real problem. Does anybody know if the ECU from a 1989 will work in a 1992? The '89 doesn't have the fault code display but I can live without it.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Mudding

That is a sport (the pic looks like from a dealer car becuase condition of glove box and wrap on new owner pack) try disconnecting the alternator and see if problem persists i am thinking a bad diode in it (diode trio)

Old 03-12-2006, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

I have the exact problem on my '98 p38. I've already gone thru and pulled all the fuses and relays in both fuse boxes one at a time looking for one that will make the current draw stop. No luck. I have had a constant draw of 2.3amps. I installed a yellow top optima battery. Even with the optima, if I let it sit for more than about 2 days I won't have enough juice to start. I just made sure to fire it up and drive around a while at least once a day. This solution worked for about 7-8 months before the constant draining and charging completely fried the yellow top, a battery made for that specific purchase. Luckily I was able to return the battery and get a brand new one. I've been waiting for someone with this problem to post a solution but haven't seen one yet. At least I'm good to go for another 7 or 8 months on this new battery.

Quick Reply: Battery being drained of power every two days. Whats up?