General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery being drained of power every two days. Whats up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery being drained of power every two days. Whats up?

For a 92' or 02' you need to use an amp meter to measure the quiescent ( don't ask me it's a Brit term ) AKA, draw on the battery. On a 92' it should shut down after 10 seconds. Newer models can take up to 20 minutes. Perhaps we need an FAQ on the matter ?

Old 05-24-2006, 02:48 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: headman

look under your passenger seat and your drivers seat for extra fuse locations in addition to the fuse panel in the middle of the dash. Remove fuses til you find one that archs and makes a circuit.

My '93 classic is draining the battery a similar way and it's the air suspension. I can remove the fuse under the side panel of the passenger seat and stop the discharge of the battery.
There is also a black switch under the rear (door side) of the passenger seat that will turn the air suspension on and off.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Evian.
You have one of two things going on, the beginnings of a battery failure, maybe a dropped plate,. or a power draw tru a failing componet. Either way, don't waste your time testing and probing if you haven't had to do this before. Take it to a good auto electrical shop, have them charge the battery and do a load and draw test on the battery, alternator and each fusable circuit till they locate the draw.
Who know, you may be lucky and just have a failing battery.
Mike

Old 05-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Evian.
You have one of two things going on, the beginnings of a battery failure, maybe a dropped plate,. or a power draw tru a failing componet. Either way, don't waste your time testing and probing if you haven't had to do this before. Take it to a good auto electrical shop, have them charge the battery and do a load and draw test on the battery, alternator and each fusable circuit till they locate the draw.
Who know, you may be lucky and just have a failing battery.
Mike
It's true; once a battery gets drained so far so many times, it just won't recouperate anymore. If you have an analog clock it also ticks away at your battery, as will the alarm.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:46 AM
2nd Gear

I am having the same problem on my 2001 Disco SE I replaced the battery and there are no lights on. If it sits for 2 or 3 days without running thebattery will be drained. Strange!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evian

titleAndStar(23,0,0,false,",")
If your RRC is equipped with the remote CD transport, disconnect the power lead to it and see if the problem goes away. We have seen a number of the OEM transports cause this problem. Also-- the plunger switches (i.e. on the door jambs) can be a source.

For the others that posted a comment---On the later P-38 Range Rover (1996-2002), there is a known problem with the carrier frequency used for the communication between the key fob remote and the vehicle ---being the same as used on commerical, and some residential security systems. This means that every time the Rover receives this signal it "wakes up" the BeCm (Body electrical control module) which causes a drain with a non-running engine. It goes back to sleep 10 minutes later, but will repeat the same cycle over and over --- until the battery is drained.

The fix here is to get a trickle batterycharger, and plug it in when the vehicle is going to be sitting for more than a few days.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 02-24-2007, 05:30 AM
8th Gear

Just out of interest
Does anyone near you have a wireless intruder alarm on the house? If they have a faulty unit, it generates a lot of electrical noise
If this system operates at 433mhz as mine does it is close to the frequency of the one in the car.

There is I believe a fix for the P38, not sure about the Classic though or even if the classic is affected by this.
I think the problem is the alarm goes into rest mode and the wireless I A on the house interferes with it so it doesn't rest so it draws more juice from the battery.

Regards
Tim