General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Roof Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Roof Rack?

Ok, I have a 98 Range Rover 4.0 SE, I'm looking for a nice big roof rack, what is the best looking one out there? Also I don't have any current rack or bars on top so im not sure if I need to purchace something first.

Thanks for any comments.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best Roof Rack?

[size=1]It depends on the rack you want. Most will require the feet (which go into the channels on the roof), and some, generally the cheaper generic models (Thule, Yakima,, etc) will require side rails and or cross members. The best looking ones, in my opinion, are the Safety Devices one and Hannibal roof racks. But a lot of that is up to you. Not to mention the hannibal ones are pretty costly (even used can run 600+) and the Safety Devices ones are incredibly difficult to come by. I'm still trying to get my hands on one... nearly got one off, what I think was a Borrego edition that was written off and up for auction, but apparently they were under the impression that legally they couldn't just sell or auction the rack seperately. As much as I wanted the rack my wife forbid me from bidding on an entire vehicle we'd then have to worry about getting rid of [:'(].

Keep in mind roof racks, permanent ones at least, increase fuel consumption quite a bit.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
4wd Low

I had a thule ski rack on my classic. I thought it was great. Got rid of the that one and dont have one on the P38 I have now though. But I had no probs with the thule on the older one.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Mudding

Thule makes a nice unit that just locks into the openings on the sides, you don't need rails to use it. Once these lock in, just the tubular cross bars and you can mount any accessories - ski, cargo, bike, etc. We have one on our old P38 that's never come off and never had a problem with it. Check http://www.orsracksdirect.com/. If you call the guys there they are pretty knowledgable and will make sure you get the right stuff. If you want to go cheaper, find the item #'s you need and get on ebay...

Mike