General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carfax History question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:30 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carfax History question

hey everyone,

question... I'm looking at the carfax of a 2006 RR Sport (28000 miles) and see where the coolant reserve tank has been replaced...is there a chance this means there is a chance that this vehicle's engine has been driven "hot" and might see reduced engine life? any way to tell? Can't afford price of a new RR and want to be sure I get a well maintained one, but this seems like a red flag. I understand some vehicles have a protection mechanism that shuts the car down prevents the engine from being run hot but not sure if RR is one of them.

thanks

Mountain_Rover

Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

No, just a warranty issue for some fault.
I have never heard of a system that will shut off an engine to protect it, first of all it would cause the engine to even over heat more, and there is a liability issue with have the engine shut off while being driven, loose control and crash.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:34 PM
7th Gear

Thanks Disco_Mike,

This is a great place to learn about these suvs.

1. So you're saying that there's no engine damage to worry about, probably just a damaged sensor or leak?

2. Will the engine run hot if the coolant tank is half full?

Sorry for nitpicking but unfortunately the nearest rover dealer is over an hour away and i'm using the online listings and carfax to weed out as many as possible before making a trip to dealership.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

no it wont, its what it says it is, a reservoir, its there for the expansion of the coolant when it gets hot, also for a level indicator, in all reality, you need to be pretty low, nothing in the reservoir to get it hot just from being low on coolant... also, there was a pretty big problem with these early on with the level sensors sticking, many tanks were replaced with absolutly no leaks at all, just a incorrect 'low coolant' message caused by a bad sensor

Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 PM
7th Gear

thanks for clearing things up guys....

i've not purchased a vehicle since the whole carfax thing has become commonplace. and it definately adds another dimension (albeit dubious) to the buying process.....i suppose it's one way to learn about potential service issues/recalls with some models....