General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coil conversion in LWB

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coil conversion in LWB

My EAS is in hard fault, and I'm going to coils. This post is to ask about some of the options out there. I'm thinking of buying the bits rather than a "kit", just because I think it'll be cheaper. This site looks good: https://www.expeditionexchange.com/kit/

btw, here's the cheapest I found: http://www.americanairsuspension.com...VER%20CONV.htm
This is maybe the most spendy: http://www.safarigard.com/catalog/je...ii_2410481.htm

I need decent road manners. Plan "moderate" off-road, meaning I won't go out of my way to find wacko hills, but want to be able to get around The Maze and similar Canyonlands stuff (some people might consider this pretty aggressive banging). I mean, the Rover is the means, not really the end, okay?

What brand of coils have worked well? I'm looking for a 1.5 to 2 inch lift -- is that what you get out of the EMUs? Has anyone here tried Black Dog? (http://www.motorcarsltd.com/specials...nsion-kits.htm)

Does anyone have an opinion about moving the front shock to inside the coil? I think this gets to be necessary with more radical lifts and articulation gizmos, but not the modest stuff I want.

Has anyone tried those rubberized spring seats or shock cones? ( http://www.expeditionexchange.com/su...ndexmain.shtml ) I'm thinking of 1.5" lift with one or two of these pups for a little more lift?

Does anyone have a source for raised bump stops? I haven't found any in Webistan yet. I'm thinking of modest increase in tire size (like 235 MTs), and I think these will be necessary to keep them out of the fenders. Not opposed to fender flares, but want to take things one step at a time (like after these pricy Michelins wear out).

Any experience is appreciated. Hope to order parts pronto.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: coil conversion in LWB

Ok there is one thing you need to consider, the conversion kit has the hardware needed so that you can put in the coil spring obviously, but it also has the terminators which are needed to trick the system into thinking it is working properly and I have not seen those availible seperately, only when buying the kits.
They have kits that are stock hieght replacements but you can also get them with OME springs which you get the ones that would give you the lift you want. secondly i have found that most often buying the pre-packaged kit ends up being cheaper that each part indivualy, though sometimes not much cheaper.

As for lift hieght, I got the OME extra heavy duty springs, which is the biggest ones they offer, and it lifted my 95 4.0 SE a total of 5". On road handling was not really affected as long as I reconected the front anti-sway bar, without it hooked up was drivable but not nearly as stable, especially at freeway speeds. The suspension was a lot more rigid and you tended to feel more of the road bumps but the trade off was that me and two buddies hung, feet off the ground on the front brush guard (about 650 lbs between us) and did not felx the suspension at all so you could put any wenches, heavy duty bumpers, whatever and not worry about over loading it.

the tires I was running were 275/75/R16(comprable to a 31x10.50), load range E, and had no problems rubbing what so ever but I did have to remove the leveling sensors. I am not sure why you want to change the bump stops but I don't see any need to get bigger ones, you will probably never get in a position were you actually touch one with a lift on it and if you did something probably broke which you will be more conserned about that at that moment.

In a way I kinda wish they had a kit that had everything but the shocks and springs cause I pulled out my lift and was thinking about putting it in the new 94 county LWB I am possibly getting which still has the air suspension. I didn't want to get a complete kit with springs I wouldn't end up using but I can find all the pieces but the terminators seperately so I may end up having to.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
4wd Low

Thanks, I really appreciate your experience.

The longer bump stops idea came from here: (http://eastcoastrover.com/AirSuspension.html) "and longer bump stops to keep everything under control". This seems kinda important to really keep the tires out of the fenders, but that's just a concept I reckon.

I understand that those mysterious terminators are nothing more than a couple pin jumps. I can't find the website right now, and it might be for RRC not P38 (thought I bookmarked it).

I won't get a radical as you did, and want soft springs to use all of the suspension. I went way-stiff in a Scout and had a problem with hanging wheels in the air long before the bump stops (as you say). These days I take things easy, pick my way better, and try to keep all my tires on the ground

Old 10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
4wd Low

Here's where I found that (a FAQ):
Do you have the "module" to turn out the EAS and speed warning lights?
No. You do not need it. The plug in "module" offered by other vendors of spring kits is unnecessary and creates more confusion than it solves. It is nothing more than a box that crosses the same wires we tell you how to connect to effect the same result. The "module" is just a fancy way to put the truck into "manual mode." Follow our easy instructions to make the conversion with complete confidence that the warning lights will not come back on.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/technici...ringkitfaq.htm

I think this applies to RRC and P38.

I plan to remove level sensors, ECU, and most everything else from the EAS (need parts?). But I hope to keep the compressor for more mundane and traditional purposes.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:27 PM
4wd Low

Actually you are getting the two vehicles confused. You mentioned your Rover was a 1993. Classics and P38's are totally different animals and cannot be diagnosed or treated the same.

Your previous quote referred to a P38 conversion. The Classic is quite a bit simpler to disable. The Black Dog kit you were referring to is available in both "normal" and "Raised" settings.
The raised kit is right at a 2" lift off of normal ride height. Both kits have very well thought out and detailed instructions on how to disable the EAS functions.

Trust me, this is not rocket science, and either conversion can be accomplished by anyone that can read and write in a couple of hours. Go get 'em Tiger!