General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constant Pursuit of Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant Pursuit of Power

I have to get something off my chest;

The 2010 Range Rover SC brings more power to the table once again but does anyone feel like the current RRSC is underpowered?

It seems like all car companies are constantly adding power even when it is not necessary. With that said, for some companies it is necessary. For example, for Ferrari it makes perfect sense to constantly add more power but does it really make sense for a Range Rover? This is especially true since Range Rovers cars aren't built or used for racing.

I wish the focus was on better MPG instead. Breaking 20 MPG in mixed driving would be a lot more impressive to me than HP that you will never use. All of us can of course afford the fuel that these things guzzle but who wouldn't want to be at the pump less and give fewer funds to the Middle East.

With that said, I guess this engine was on the shelf as it was used by the Jag XFR so it really didn't cost Land Rover much to drop it in the Range. At the end of the day they must have figured why not; 510 HP with a 7.3% improvement in MPG.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it really depends on the driver. To me RR's shouldn't need that much hp because RR's are meant more so for cruising than anything else. If I wanted something with that much hp i'd buy a car that truly takes advantage of it rather then a two tonne brick but I guess it's to each his own. I always see this RRS driver who guns it at stop lights and guess if you're into that (pure waste of gas imo) then you might appreciate more hp.

I do think you're right that LR just said why the heck not. More hp and better fuel economy is kind of a win win situation. And i'd rather they stick to Jags reliable engines then fiddling with them for the Rover!

I'm just waiting for the alluminum bodied Rover (think they're still doing it in the 2012 revision?). That should really improve gas mileage and give Rovers a boost in performance.

Last edited by ldivine; 04-11-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Overlanding

i think its very simple - the current power output of RR's is plenty. no need for more! after-all, these are NOT X5's; so why add power to a tall, narrow, soft, luxury truck?

but, i suppose if LR/RR want to be competitive with the darn Germans, they must play along - and today, the game is all HP

Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Drifting

ya, all good points! One minor thing though, Jaguar is going to be using the same motor. And all sounds good. Land Rover since BMW had their shot at making the FS RR has turned into a street Princess and with the new race for horsepower they will not be undersold. They are shooting for the best and why not? I mean you can buy a VW Touareg v10 tdi and it will smoke a LRS SC and a fs RR in a hart beat and guess what, for a cheaper price. They have to make this move in order to compete with everthing else that is out there.