General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak, any ideas? 2003 hse range....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak, any ideas? 2003 hse range....

hey everyone, i just bought a range rover from a private owner. well, it ran great for the first couple days, hell, it stil runs great but today it said check coolant level, thought he had just not filled it up for a while, because he didnt really drive the truck much, but now, its leaking coolant. i filled the tank up, went to the auto store, and came back and it was running low again. im not sure where its coming from, i've looked around, and even under the truck, and it apeears its coming out of the overflow, but why would it do this? im guessing its an overflow tube, but i could be wrong? it seems as if its dripping down onto the exhaust, and steaming up so im almost positive its not the heads. has this ever happened to anyone else? it shows on the dash that the engine is running perfect temp, so should i be worried about driving it the stealership? it only overflows when its filled u;, but when it stops dripping out of the overflow it works great, so idk whats going on? i know it shouldnt be happening, so whats my best guess, hopefully the loacal stealership wont kill my wallet(luckily its only 5 miles away)

Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Drifting

hmmmmm.....i just noticed i put the wrong type of coolant in their, do you think this would make it overflow? if not im unsure, hopefully its not going to devour my bank account, it already was 1500 to just get it tagged and registered

Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

you need to get that coolant out of there, youll kill it. however, no, that wont cause it to overflow... the bmw range(what you have) doesnt have a overflow tube, just a pressure release. if its comming out of the reservoir then its a bad reservoir or cap. they have issues with radiators leaking on the lower rh side, and also the valley pan gaskets leaking... you need to get it checked out by someone that knows what theyre doing, and knows these cars

Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Drifting

alright, how can i get that coolant out of there? it said check the coolant level, but it didnt run hot, put the wrong coolant in and now it started to run hot, so how do i drain it out, i wanna get it out asap. if it sits in their over night will that hurt it, also, would it be a smart idea to just flush it with water to get that coolant out after i drain it, i read in the owners manual if you cant get that coolant, top it off with water, so im guessing it wouldnt hurt to flush it with water......

Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Drifting

alright, thanks alot. i dont think its the resivoir or cap, i want to say its a pinhole leak in one of the hoses, if thats possible. its a drip leak, nothing like a constant stream leaking out, just a drip, drip, drip. i ran the car for about 5-10 minutes with this fluid, this isnt long enough to do damage? and can someone tell me the coolant i need to get, i looked in my manual and didnt see any specific coolant, so any help is greatly appreciated. when it said check coolant level, it ran fine, not hot or anything like that, but when i added the coolant, thats when everything went bad, and its only leaking ut of the pressure release hose or whatever, located under the drivers door area, more towards the middle if you know what i mean......any ideas what the cause could be? im waiting to change it until the morning, im going to drain it and flush it with water, and then try getting my hands on the right coolant.....thanks for the help guys, sorry i sound like such a dumbass.....

Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

well... are you sure what you see leaking is coolant, cus there arent any hoses back that far... make sure what youre seeing isnt just from the ac. and no, it wont cause immediate damage or anything, really a few weeks would be fine if you do an actual flush afterwards. water wont cause an issue if its warm outside unless you have a leak somewhere and cant build up good pressure in the system, then it might make you boil over... all this said, you need to get it checked out and see whats leaking, coolant isnt supposed to go anywhere, you should always have the same/right amount in there. also, you need G48 coolant if you get it from LR, AFC if its from BMW... its the same stuff. just make sure its dark blue

Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water will not kill it and if you put in the wrong stuff the ratio is probably so small it would take a long time to do damage. The damage comes when the wrong stuff is used and then it will eat the radiator and other components.

I do not own your year of Rover but BMW in general can get air bubbles in the system that will look like it is full but a quarter of it is just air. There may be a bleed valve at the top somewhere that you can open and while filling it will let air out. This could explain the now running hot issue. Guys chime in if I am wrong but I am throwing out some options.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Drifting

that sounds like a possibility, ill have t check that out. its actually not leaking anymore, flushed it and filled it with water, it dosnt run hot, or so the temp sensor says that, but when i turn off the car, or am just riding it makes a hissing noise, but like i said, i dont think its leaking anymore, so what would you guys guess this is? i've searched but found nothing.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is a hissing it could be that there is a leak. You may have one on a head gasket or on the bottom of a hose or something. I had a leak for a long time on my BMW head, it would steam out and whatever dripped eveaporated on the exhaust manifold, so ultimately unless I could hear it the only indicator I had was the coolant level. I suggest getting it looked at soon.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Three Wheeling

I had the same coolant problem not too long ago. Have someone do a leak test. I had my front coolant hoses replaced (big hoses and small ones connected looking like a Y). Then come to find out my plastic reservoir had a small crack.

I didn't go to the dealer to have it fixed. I had my personal mechanic replaced the parts. It was very inexpensive and took an hour to replace.

Quick Reply: coolant leak, any ideas? 2003 hse range....