General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do any of the p38's have the CDL like the D1's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do any of the p38's have the CDL like the D1's?

I'm looking for a littletoy/hunting truck. After talking to Disco Mike I'm leaning toward a D1 because of the CDL. However if I could find a p38 with this feature 'd much rather have a p38 on account of the interior being so much nicer. Comfort matters a lot to me as this rig will be mainly used for beer drinking dirt road/hunting road riding. S if any, which ones have the CDL? Any other advice is more than welcome!

Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short answer: no. No Range Rovers have CDL capability in stock form

Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The P38 doesn't have a CDL. If you get a 1999 or later model, they have 4 channel traction control which makes the CDL uneccesary. The traction control is handled by the ABS system, which uses pressurized brake fluid to activate the brakes. They fluid is held under pressure in the system so it is ready to react immediately to stop a spinning wheel. It works awesome. When it's working. Which brings up one of the biggest issues with a P38. They are pretty sophisticated in terms of controls and operation, so there is plenty to go wrong. A Discovery 1 that isn't rusted out is a better choice I would say because there are far fewer electronics, pumps, sensors and switches to fail.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, they have what is called a viscous coupling in between the front and rear drive shaft where the transfer case meets. It acts as a limited slip differential. Basically, it will allow a certain amount of play between the two drive shafts while turning corners. But if one drive shaft is moving much faster than the other, the fluid inside is disturbed and causes it to lock up acting like a central diff locker. Coupled with the advanced traction control, it replaces the need for a manual locker.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kfx4001442
I'm looking for a littletoy/hunting truck. After talking to Disco Mike I'm leaning toward a D1 because of the CDL. However if I could find a p38 with this feature 'd much rather have a p38 on account of the interior being so much nicer. Comfort matters a lot to me as this rig will be mainly used for beer drinking dirt road/hunting road riding. S if any, which ones have the CDL? Any other advice is more than welcome!
A Discovery 1 isn't comfortable enough for you? The (heated) seats are like Laz-y-boy recliners, it has tilt steering & cruise control, and separate driver & passenger climate controls.

Ohh... never mind. You mentioned beer drinking and I forgot, the stock cupholders suck.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by LRScott
Actually, they have what is called a viscous coupling in between the front and rear drive shaft where the transfer case meets. It acts as a limited slip differential. Basically, it will allow a certain amount of play between the two drive shafts while turning corners. But if one drive shaft is moving much faster than the other, the fluid inside is disturbed and causes it to lock up acting like a central diff locker. Coupled with the advanced traction control, it replaces the need for a manual locker.
Yes, good point. They do have a viscous coupling. Which, by the way, is typically on its way to failure by 100,000 miles. On my 1999 I never really thought about the coupling because of the traction control but prior to 1999 the P38's only had the traction control on the rear wheels. If the viscous coupling fails in the earlier P38's, you'll get stuck off road in no time.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had 3 P38's that crossed the 100,00 mile (160k Kms) mark and never had a problem with the viscous coupling... please, I hope I didn't jinx myself then

2 of my P38's have 4 wheel TC and it really is a magic thing. Only once has the TC not compensated for my poor driving approach, and I put that on YouTube.

The only thing that gets used less than the rear air-locker on my off-road P38 is the winch on the front bar. Hardly ever had a need for either, but it is nice to know they are there just in case.

Cheers, Paul.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Pro Wrench

I had 128,000 miles on my P38 when I sold it and the coupling was still working just fine, but from what I have read it is something to keep an eye on. With an effective traction control system, there is less wheelspin so the coupling gets less use so that may keep it from failing as it often does in the Classics.

I agree about the TC in these vehicles, it is amazing. Much better than the types that need to build pressure in the system with a pump after wheel spin is detected (like my DII). Almost makes all the hassles when the system goes bad worth it.