General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting vs Braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting vs Braking

I am not a highly technical car person and have heard many theories on this philosophy but I wanted to float it out here to see what you guys think.

Is it bad for the car (specifically the transmission) to downshift when coming to a stop on a hill or from a higher speed? I tend to downshift instead of braking to extend the life of my brakes. I don't do it at every stop but tend to do it on a hill or coming off a highway exit ramp but usually do it several times on an average trip to the store, restaurant, etc.

My theory is that as long as you don't do it every time you stop it should be fine but then another side of me says that brakes are way cheaper than a new transmission. Then another side of me says that this is why they designed the transmission this way. By the end of all of my conflicting thoughts I am confused.

As I said, I have read a couple of theories in the past but would be interested in what you guys think.

Opinions?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Driving in the Rockies I always use engine braking descending steep grades. I feel that I have more control doing that than riding the brakes. I've never had any transmission problems doing that, but I double the life of the brakes.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Let's think about this, 4 new rotors and pads are about $400, a replacement tranny $3000 to $5000, this is a no brainer.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Actually I have heard that new transmissions are $7k from LR and I frequently hear about $800 - $1,000 brake jobs.

The question is ultimately; Is engine braking really bad for the car? And will it damage the transmission?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Drifting

Maybe. I think LR Transmissions are built like a brick outhouse. I drive my mine though, I don't baby it. It just pains me to drive down I70 from the Tunnel and to Denver and see people ride their brakes all the way down the hill. That can't be good.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

its fine for the trans. with your six speed, i wouldnt downshift all the way to 1st, but thats really just because its not a comfortable shift. only problem that may occur would be your more prone to vacuum leaks under decel

Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Mudding

Typically, you downshift to control the vehicle, not stop it. Or, to get an accelerated start. Your truck should have a hill descent anyway, right? Use the brakes - that's what they're designed for - and cheaper.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Roverguy7. As a master tech for Land Rover I especially appreciate your insight!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Drifting

Call me old fashion but I never use HDC. It only works under 50 mph anyway. You can descend a steep 4WD road in Low, Low and crawl down the hill without using the brakes. To each is own style of driving.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mlshelton
Typically, you downshift to control the vehicle, not stop it. Or, to get an accelerated start. Your truck should have a hill descent anyway, right? Use the brakes - that's what they're designed for - and cheaper.
Tranny shops and certified Tranny mechanics will tell you that the excess heat generated by using the tranny to hold back your speed will have long term, excess heat generated problems.
Why chance it.
As for driving down the I-70, I do it all the time running between 60 and 70 MPH with ne need to use the gears or brakes. Actually, I know very few, if any Rover owners that use their tranny for their high speed braking.

Quick Reply: Downshifting vs Braking