General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS was fixed but rover looks different

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM
val
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EAS was fixed but rover looks different

i just fixed my EAS fault problem. the mechnic changed my air compressor, vaulve body, and Height control unit. Looks like everything is working properly. but when i looked at my rover my front looked a few inches heigher then it was before. When i look at it from the side you can see the front is heigher then the back. My left back spring sits lower than my right one. any suggested on what happened, or does it sound right.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the height sensors were knocked but if you didn't have the bags replaced (and just the EAS components under the hood) it shouldn't be the sensors. Sure you aren't just seeing things when you're looking at it? None of those components should have changed the height at all...

Regards

Old 02-21-2009, 12:07 AM
val
Drifting
Default Reply

Actually he did replace the front passenger side air spring. I had this car for almost 2 years, so I know for sure that it looks higher in the front than it did before. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Since you took it to a mechanic... i'd say take it back and ask if he possibly might have knocked an EAS height sensor out of place because the suspension height seems out of whack.

Could ask him to swap the sensors (just left and right from front- don't swap front with back) and see if that fixes the problem or just changes where the problem is occurring (in which case you'd need to replace that sensor).

Regards

Old 02-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ldivine
Since you took it to a mechanic... i'd say take it back and ask if he possibly might have knocked an EAS height sensor out of place because the suspension height seems out of whack.

Could ask him to swap the sensors (just left and right from front- don't swap front with back) and see if that fixes the problem or just changes where the problem is occurring (in which case you'd need to replace that sensor).

Regards
Swapping out an air bag should not require the tech to remove or touch a ride height sensor, sounds to me like the height parameter settings need to be re-calibrated. You might try running it through its settings a couple of times and give it a short drive at each height to see if that settles things, if that doesn't work take it back and get him to re-set the BECM.
Re swapping the sensors, usually this will get things settled since the sensor will now be operating on a clean piece of track. (They are just potentiometers)

Chris.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:33 AM
val
Drifting

thanks guys i will try drive on it for couple days see what happen

Old 02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Technically you're right... changing the bags shouldn't result in sensor faults. However, if the mechanic doesn't work on Rovers you can have a whole host of things go wrong. Sensors would be the first thing I check because it's the easiest fix.

Unless the BECM was changed out... which it wasn't. I wouldn't think it's the BECM. Possibly, the height values in the EAS ECU need to be reprogrammed (shouldn't but it's a last resort fix). And an EAS ECU reset would just clear any faults (none of which were indicated). Correlation does not indicate causation but I would think the EAS problem is, most likely, directly related to the physical work the mechanic performed and not an electrical or mechanical gremlin.

Regards

Last edited by ldivine; 02-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Three Wheeling

+1 on that

Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM
val
Drifting

Originally Posted by ldivine
Technically you're right... changing the bags shouldn't result in sensor faults. However, if the mechanic doesn't work on Rovers you can have a whole host of things go wrong. Sensors would be the first thing I check because it's the easiest fix.

Unless the BECM was changed out... which it wasn't. I wouldn't think it's the BECM. Possibly, the height values in the EAS ECU need to be reprogrammed (shouldn't but it's a last resort fix). And an EAS ECU reset would just clear any faults (none of which were indicated). Correlation does not indicate causation but I would think the EAS problem is, most likely, directly related to the physical work the mechanic performed and not an electrical or mechanical gremlin.

Regards
thank you for helping me out the mechanic is not a range rover mechanic, but a normal mechanic. He didnt change any air bags, according to him he changed the air compressor, body valve. and height control unit under the drivers seat. ive noticed for the last 2 days. My front passenger side air spring is sitting about an inch lower than the other side. My rear driver side sitting more than an inch lower than the other side . one more thing, after these repairs if the car is parked for up to 11 hours it keeps the same height. last night i parked it over for 20 hours and in the morning it was all the way to the bump on all sides and when i started the car it took about ten mnutes until the height control light stopped blinking and went to the regular height position.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Rock Crawling

What year Rover do you have? Have you replaced the springs or know if they have been replaced? I would crawl under the four corners of the truck and check the condtion of the bags around the base of each bag.

It shouldn't take 10 minutes for the EAS to change heights. It really shouldn't take more then 30-45 seconds tops. Going to the bumpstops is a tell tale sign that something is wrong with the EAS. Continuing to use it will only further compound the problem(s).

Regards

Quick Reply: EAS was fixed but rover looks different