General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injector cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injector cleaner?

What's the forums' opinion on adding fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank to help keep the injectors and valves clean? Is there any problem with hurting any seals? I read where my generation truck (1997 Range Rover) tends to accumulate alot of carbon buildup around the exhausr valves. Is Seafoam as good or better alternative?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Rock Crawling

I personally feel that it is a waste of money. I believe that the benifits are only perceived. Of course, that is just my view. Others may disagree and most probably do.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rovers do tend to build up carbon in their cylinders. Additives will help, but not instantly dissolve years of build up. I have used additives on my other vehicles and noticed major improvements. You need to be careful though, using too much might cause a chunk of carbon to break off and clog things up. In the end, the best way to get rid of the junk is to tear down the engine and manually clean the components. I recently did an induction cleaning on my rover and found that it does run better. After the cleaning I took a look at the cylinders through the spark plug hole. I noticed that there was still a considerable amount of carbon build up left... I use seafoam as an induction cleaner, and use MMO (marvel's mystery oil) to clean out the crank case and fuel system. After treating the rover, with the additives it feels and sounds better. Just go light on the additives if you do decide to use them and use them slowly and progressively. I put a little in the oil and fuel before each oil change. Usually 1/4 the "recommended" dosage.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Rock Crawling

I use Lucas or Seafoam, both work great. I try to run it every 5 or 6 tanks. Have used both for years in many different vehicles. Some vehicles have more pronounced results than others but I have never had a problem.