General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Deal?

New to the RR world and need some help. Should I buy?

$4,000 for a 1999 RR HSE 4.6 with just over 100k miles.
The passenger seat power motor has shorted out and needs to be replaced. The drivers side seat blew a fuse on the test drive.

Rear passenger window inop.

Cruise Control could not be verified, because the buttons are warn out and I am not familiar with the layout.

The transmission is freshly rebuilt.

All the sensor lights are on while driving (owner was told by his mech that
they just need to be reset, apparently they have been replaced recently).

Front right sags slightly.

Runs great. Head gasket looks to have been replaced at some point.

AC works, but does not blow very hard.

Thanks for any help that I can get. I need a push in either direction. Also I need to convince the wife.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, if it's drivable, and it's a second vehicle for you, and you can spare a couple extra grand in make-up work, it's probably not a bad deal.

Most useful thing would be to pull OBD codes on it, if you can, and see what they say.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Rock Crawling

I would want to get to the bottom of some of those lights before I decided if it was a good deal or not. Sounds like if there are that many little things the owner didn't keep up on the care of it. That one might be a can of worms waiting to explode on you. 44,000 isn't a bad price for one that is in solid condition, this one might just have too many isuess. I would really try to low ball him...

Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The transmission is freshly rebuilt.
Really? The transmissions on these rigs lasts A LONG time. Mine still has it's original and has yet to develop any sort of issues. I would be curious to see if they serviced things when the were supposed to. 4k is a relatively good deal for it, but offer them $2700 and see what they do . Do you know if its a GEMS or BOSCH model? Exactly what lights are showing?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It soundslike there are a myriad of issues, the sagging suspension could mean that you will need to replace all the bags soon, not too expensive or hard to do but something worth noting. Your wife will not like it if you have to drive on the bumpstops very far to get home.

The sensors could be the big ?. Pull the codes and see what they say. The seats can be just some wiring that is shorting and may not need to replace the seat.

I would still lowball him and see what he says, you never know you just may get it for the price.