General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat in my P38 works great....except that stupid vent under the steering wheel (the "***** vent") blows cold air unless you have it in recirculate mode. My entire HVAC system was replaced last year, and I've ripped it all apart again, still looking for the problem.

Land Rover could have done a better job aiming the floor vents. They heat your shin up nicely but your feet stay cold.

To the OP - many things to check as noted by the other posters. Coolant, blend doors, thermostat all need checked.

Landifan - you might want to try burping the cooling system.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Talking

Originally Posted by Chris X
(the "***** vent"
Love it!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 PM
4wd Low
Default I'll just put it over my shoulder....

Originally Posted by Chris X

Landifan - you might want to try burping the cooling system.
I don't mind burping it, just as long as it doesn't spit up on me!

I was thinking of something like that, but I don't know the official or commonly practiced method.
You guys may laugh, but I was just thinking of warming up the truck, parking on a steep hill , nose up so the heatercore would be nearly the lowest point in the system, then running the heat with the reservoir open. Trying to get the bubbles to rise up to the open res....

cycling the HAVOC system from hot to cold and back did improve things, but the truck shouldn't gurgle like that.

Thanks,

Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 AM
Mudding

Landi you are pretty close to on target with how to burp the system.

Some tips here: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/vie...hp?f=3&t=39647

The official procedure is also in RAVE. Some people have done the method you describe for elevating the front of the vehicle, and have said it does help.

Give it a shot and let us know if the gurgling stops or not and we'll take it from there.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Chris X.
I've been a rangerovers.net fan forever, but never looked for a forum. theres another one to join!
I'll be trying to burp it this weekend. thanks a bunch

Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Heat

I had the same problem, heat was blowing cold.. i topped up the coolant and voila! heat again.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
4wd Low
Default Heat: Fixed, Gurgle: Not Fixed

This weekend I "burped" the cooling system. Well, I followed all the steps, but could get no more fluid in than I got out. Still, the idea seemed good. Perhaps a steeper hill....

I still have the gurgling sound in the dash. Its really kind of a cross between a gurgle and a squishing sound, like a thin gel being forced through a small orifice. I've noticed it more on left turns than right, but I think that relates to the inlet and outlet of the heater core.

As I mentioned before, cycling the heat switches from hot to cold and back seemed to unstick the blending gate. Now its nice and toasty inside again.

Now, on to the powersteering...

Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the gurgle... When was the last time you changed your cabin filters?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Mudding

Hmm. You have some kind of fluid in the HVAC system sloshing around it appears. Maybe check your AC drains to see if they are clogged, if they are they might be bakcing up condensate into the system...?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 PM
4wd Low

I have just installed a new heater core, temp sensor and blend motor kit but cannot get the heat to come on. I still have the book symbol on. Do I need to clear the fault or should it cut off on its own with everything working properly? Im assuming that my heater box is shot but it would be nice if it was as simple a clearing the codes!

Quick Reply: heat not working