General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello... again

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:02 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello... again

We bought a new Rover! Again. Thought I would pop in and say hi.

I purchased a Disco2 back in 2010. Prior to my purchase, the TStat disintegrated and was replaced. I ran in 20K miles before it overheated. During the subsequent rebuild process, I found a piece of an old TStat buried in the H20 pump. “Flow blockage.” Other than that, and every other issue Discos have, it was trouble free.

Last week my wife purchased a 2000 RR HSE. I can’t even fit in a RR. Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear is, what, 6’5”? How did the British get away with that? A Honda Civic has more headroom than a RR!

Anyway, thought I would pop back in and say hello. I don’t know if any of the same faces are here, but I am pulling the RR in the garage and would love for some friendly advice regarding model/year specific maintenance, known issues, etc. I’m back at square one, and I don’t even remember what that looks like!

I haven’t gotten very far, but here’s what I know- there’s one less sunroof to leak, but now it has headlight washers, air suspension, and a host of electronics that could potentially spell the end of me. It’s a fresh rebuilt 4.6, 125K miles. Code 1667 was the only one that came up in the history. It runs warm (205-210) when it idles, on the road it stays 198ish. The fan clutch has some viscosity when it’s hot, less than 1/4 turn. It’s also 8 degrees outside, so I don’t know how a fan clutch is supposed to operate at 8 degrees. It has blue coolant in the radiator... Imma check the radiator, maybe do new T-stat, radiator, Waterpump and replace with orange coolant all at the same time.

Other things... It’s also low on coolant, so I’m looking for leaks. There was a Throttle body heater I fixed on the 99?

ABS light stays on until you activate Traction control, then it goes away.

I had a buddy security locked out of his Rover for a few months. If there is a way to disable or diminish the Superlock features, I would like to do that preemptively. I remember reading about Testbook reprogram for Australia in order to bypass a host of issues. Dunno. Help me out. There is no LR dealer in ALASKA! So anything that may arise involving them needs to be headed off at the pass. Thanks again for your help in the past.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

check the heater core o-rings common leak point. Welcome back.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call. I will check that out. I smell antifreeze upon acceleration. Was thinking it was under the bonnet, but it could very well be in the cab.