General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!!! 2003 RANGE ROVER big problem? *mechanic syas alternator* HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!!! 2003 RANGE ROVER big problem? *mechanic syas alternator* HELP!!

so let me tell you what happend prior to it, chicago was hit with negative 30 degree temps, i left the range rover (03 model) outside for the night. when i came back to it in the morning and started it, it had a slight louder initila "vroom" when you turn the ignition....so anyways the battery light came on. i thought nothing of it and went on the highway. i also remember that for the past few weeks the ac/fan would slightly mutter or kind of go into higher and lower hums....so anyways im driving ont he highway and its all good, radio is on and all. then the radio shut off. and i remember gassing it up was funny. so i signaled to the off ramp to get out. doing this my suspension light came on. something like suspension check, or problem. i dont quite remember. so i turned on a side street and at this time it was difficult to gas the car, i would gas it up and it would only drive a little. once managed to park it i turned it off. i tried to turn it back on and it wouldnt even start. just the bat tlight came on. i went outside and checked the car and the rear suspension looked SUPER low. the front looked normal.

dealer says its ana alternator which is msrp over 1200. i think i found one for 500.

my questions are is this an alternator issue? the car wont even start up unless its hooked up to jumper cables the mechanic said. its still disabled at the shop and still the rear suspension is super low.

how much of an issue is this?

thanks for any help!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!!!!! 2003 RANGE ROVER big problem? *mechanic syas alternator* HELP!!

I had a similar problem with my 2001.

The alternator apparently went without warning. The car runs on the battery until it is dead and it just quits. You probably got a myriad of lights - traction control, gear box failure, bulb failure, etc. I was on the road and bought a new battery and installed it on the spot.I was lucky enough to get it to my shop before it died again. He tested the alternator and it wasn't putting out anything.
Luckily, he had a rebuilt Land Rover alternator on hand and only charged $225 for it. I know the new ones are very pricey. Everyone on these sites says to stay from anything not OE but the prices I have seen are in the $600 range. Does your $1200 include the alternator, battery and labor?? That would be stretching it some but may be more reasonable.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!!!!! 2003 RANGE ROVER big problem? *mechanic syas alternator* HELP!!

jg, I know a good mechanic in Chicago Land his name is Glenn @ the Rover shop give him a call, and tell him Vic referred you. He will be able to help and give you straight answers. http://therovershopinc.com/specials.html