General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, Need Info About Buying A Callaway

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, Need Info About Buying A Callaway

I'm going to look at a 1999 Callaway edition RR on WED. It has 164,xxx but the engine was rebuilt at 130,xxx. I have searched the internet for info on the Callaways but havent been able to find much. How much should I expect to pay for this, what should I be looking out for, what typically fails on these? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreiated!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP, Need Info About Buying A Callaway

I would think you'd pay somewhere between 2-4K but that can really vary depending on where you live. I would be sure the engine has been rebuilt and not replaced as the main benefit to the Callaway SE is it's modified engine. Be sure it comes in Niagra Gray, Epsom Green, or Rutland Red. If anything else it isn't a Callaway. Check for the SE plaque under the bonnet and on the lower rear tailgate panel... some also had this on the front fender. Make sure it has a dual exhaust as this was another benefit of the Callaway.

As for what typically fails on these... it's a long list. Plan on a few K a year in repair costs(this can range from 0-a couple thousand... typically plan on 2-4K as this seems typical) . Air suspension is probably the number one problem and one of the more expensive. Air springs have to be replaced around every 7-10 years. Compressors can fail, valve blocks can fail, etc. Brake pads and tires tend to go fast on these due to the wight. If the EAS system (compressor, bags, valve block) alone is shot it could potentially cost more then two times the value of the vehicle to fix. Make sure the EAS is working and has no bad leaks before buying. Not to mention if the engine goes it'll be very expensive to repair. With the year of the vehicle i'd check the shocks. A lot can go wrong on a Rover and most problems aren't cheap to fix unless you are good at DIY mechanical and electrical work. Keep in mind if the Rover has advanced electronics and if it detects something wrong it may lock up componenents (especially with the EAS) which will require the hardware and software to reset these faults and return the vehicle to operational status.

If you do decide to purchase it best of luck. Rovers truly are a rare and exceptional breed. Just know what you're getting into

Old 11-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Ohhhh
Try rangerovers.net for specific information on the Callaway and if you go the forums you can search for typical upkeep costs/failures.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear

really only 2-4k to purchase one? I thought they would be a little more expensive than that since only 220 were made. thanks for the info

Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Honestly it might be... just depends on market and how much the seller wants to sell. Rovers seem to be sitting with their low mileage and the state of the economy so it really is a buyers economy right now.

The one you quoted has extremely high mileage which would drastically reduce the value to most potential customers. Personally, based on the mileage alone I wouldn't pay more than 4K and wouldn't recommend over 6.5K unless money really isn't a concern or it's in inconceivably good condition. Under 3 might have been a bit low now that I think about and if I remember correctly the Callaway has notable performance increases (unlike most special editions) so that might be worth bit more. Special Edition vehicles are very difficult to price just because there are so few. I'd look at prices for other 99's and offer a bit more.

And i'd still check out the major componenets and drive down the seller if they aren't in good condition.

Best of luck!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Overlanding

I have Callaway #165. Rutland Red. It has 131,000 miles on it and runs great. Thinking about selling it. Let me know if that on doesn't work out.