General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want an '02 Range

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want an '02 Range

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE with about 90k. I love the size of the truck versus the BMW X5. I have owned a 97 BMW 540 and currently a 03 BMW 530 so the X5 4.4 is what I naturally gravitated towards. However I am falling in love with the RR. I hear people have a love/hate relationship with these trucks. I know two people with these trucks that absolutely love them but all the online owners have less than flattering things to say about the truck.

How depend about is this truck? What is the life expectancy? I would like to keep the EAS, so how problematic is this suspension. Would I be better to spend more money in the X5 4.4 or with a 04 RR?

Old 07-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Drifting

From someone who switched over to a Range Rover from more domestic bigger trucks, I love the Rover. The EAS can be problomatic from what I've read, but with any mechanical knowledge it seems like stuff that is easy to fix. I thought I had an issue with mine, but it turns out it was just a fuse. Other than that, my EAS functions as it should with 120k miles on the truck already. There seems to be a lot of love for the Disco here as well, ever consider one of those?

My standpoint: For the money, I would pick the Rover over the Bimmer any day. (Don't get me wrong either, I love most BMW cars. I just don't like the X5). My boss traded in his X5 for an 08 Range Rover last year and has been happy with it as well.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Drifting

Jeff, thanks for the comments. I've been thinking the same thing with mechancial problems that most seem pretty simple, except for electrical and some EAS issues. With the earlier X5's transmission issues and the Rover's quirks, it's a bird in the hand versus two in the bush.

What year is your Rover? How much did you pay for her?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rovers overall are pretty reliable. Not as reliable as some marks but pretty average for European cars. The EAS isn't as problematic as people make it out to be. If you do a bit of research and maintenance (as needed) the EAS system can last a very long time.
This being said, Rovers aren't vehicles you can just drive and drive and drive without performing maintenance or correcting problems as they occur. A good example being shot airbags which can destroy other EAS components if ignored. And airbags do HAVE to be replaced. Some people who buy Rovers don't seem to understand that rubber does wear and then complain about Rovers poor reliability.

Personally, I would get the '02 Rover over the '04 as the early MKIII's can be quirkier then most Rovers. I would take a LR over a Bimmer any day but i've been hooked on LR for many years so i'm a bit biased.

As I always recommend, do not buy a Rover if you expect a perfect car. They simply don't exist... especially with used cars. Expect you will have some problems and maintenance costs will be higher then average. If you do buy a Rover there are great resources when problems do occur and a active community willing to help. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a fan of BMWs but I love my rover more lol. To be honest your question is more about preference. The engines and transmissions between the two vehicles share similarities because BMW owned rover for awhile. From 99 till 05 the range rover has used bosch engines. The 03 to 05 ranges use the exact 4.4 engine that is in the x5.

If you want a sporty vehcile that handles like a race car, the x5 is a good choice. A range rover is more of a plush ride and has a much softer suspension. Like ldivine said, they are not perfect vehciles, they leak oil, have random faults that don't mean anything, and may even wake up on the wrong side of the garage ontop of the other vehicle. But, they are very good cars at the core. Mind you, the cost of parts for them can be steep and they require you to be on top of things when they fail or are about to fail. I would assume the x5 is not much different in terms of reliability as they are very similar. The rover is going to be easier to repair if you are a DIY mechanic as there is tons of information and support for these vehicles. But, your choice is going to be preference, and you will have to ask yourself, do you want sporty or plush? Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a great wealth of info on www. rangerovers.net I had an 02 it is a great truck not at all the same as a X5 totally different. Simply put sporty vs. luxury

Old 07-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback which is making my decision alittle easier. I think the repair cost on the Rover vs the X5 is very comparable because they are European luxury vehicles. With the other sites for DIYers I think that working on the Rover should be straight forward. As far as the ride I want a truck to be a truck, not a sports car like the Cayenne.

I hope that I am making the right decision and become a loyal Range Rover guy because I am droolling over the 2010 RR.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Drifting

It appears that www.rangerovers.net is no longer in business.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Mudding

What do you mean "not in business?" Their site works and is live...

Mike

Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when I click the link from your reply it takes me to the site. If you search the site you'll find all the info you need.

Quick Reply: I want an '02 Range