General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im getting ready to buy my first Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im getting ready to buy my first Range Rover

Okay I'm getting ready to sell my 2001 Mazda Tribute, cause it is the crappiest car ever, for a 2000 Range Rover HSE and it have 102k miles on it and their also asking for about $10k, um its at a Auction House here in ATL, that sells an abundance of Land Rover vehicles, I was wondering what do you guys think I need to do before buying, because I don't wanna buy and end up fixing everything under the sun, so can you guys PLEASE steer me in the right direction. Anyone who has this particular model please also let me know how the car has been for you.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Im getting ready to buy my first Range Rover

My personal opinion; I wouldn't by this type of vehicle if it wasn't certified and/or didn't have an extended warranty. That's just me, I'm not much of a risk taker anymore. I had an '85 Porsche 944 about 17 years ago that just about broke me; water pump, suspension, clutch, motor mounts, etc. You could really be setting yourself up for some serious maintenance expenses. Lot's of complex electronics, air bag suspension, (bags are typically only good to about 75k miles), $10k for a transmission. Maybe you have good mechanical aptitude, are familiar with European vehicles and have a good source for parts. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to have the EAS (electronic air suspension) system fully checked and tested. A visual test will look for cracks/wear on the air bags front and rear, and the air lines going to each bag. Also make sure the vehicle quickly moves from access mode (fully down) to offroad as far up as possible. EAS systems begin to have problems at 80k miles or so, and if yours is still pushing the original EAS system at 100k...you're in for an expensive repair in the near future[&o]

If you're mechanical, that EAS can be fixed relatively easily...but it's not the most fun thing to work with and diagnose.

Also you might want to have a compression test done on the engine, as well as a coolant pressure leak down test to make sure the head gaskets are ok. Ranges are prone to head gasket blow outs if it gets overheated or worked too hard.

I've got a 2001 4.6 SE..same style as yours, P38, and hopefully the same engine (did they even make a 4.0 HSE?). Only problems I've had with my 84k miles is the EAS failing at 81k, and an annoying failed door lock cylinder at 82k.

Good choice on the HSE, I wish I had the HSE sometimes, but it's mainly the 4.6 I wanted

Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

Well, thanks alot, I have a mechanic now, that works on my moms Lexus GS and he also works on all Japanese and European vehicles, would it be smart to bring him along when I decide to go extensively check out the vehicle.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Winching

The way I checked mine was to ask for a test drive...and say you want to run it by your mechanic for an hour or so. They should let it go. If not, then yes definitely bring the mechanic. He should be able to tell if the heads are leaking or weeping, and check the usual symptoms of gasket failure (coolant in oil, bubbles, oil in coolant)

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Drifting

I think he mentioned this truck being at an auction and in that case, the vehicles don't leave the auction house (which I think you already knew given the (ha). He'd have to bring someone to look it over but even at that, you can only really tell if it's got issues by looking over the truck. I don't think you can even drive the cars at auctions. My personal opinion would be to stay away from Land Rovers at auctions (except like an eBay auction where more sellers than not list them to get the fair market value). Cars at auctions are there for 1 reason ...to move them quickly. Cheap prices to make fast sales. You get what you pay for ...be prepared to dump some serious $$ into the truck. I'm not saying you will have to but be prepared to do so. The 102K miles on it is a tell tale sign that it's going to need some TLC and is likely the reason it went to auction (i.e. EAS system maintenance, engine maintenance, both adding up to several thousand dollars). Nothing on these trucks is cheap except maybe the brake light bulbs and that's if you buy them at Autozone.

DeShawn ...you might be better off foregoing the auction and looking at one listed locally on something like autotrader and looking the truck over with a white glove and taking it to a certified Land Rover mechanic (not just any old mechanic will do) for a full insepction. It will probably cost you their labor rate for 1 hour but well worth the money. I'd hate to see you buy this one at auction and have it be a money pit.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Winching

From talking to a few different used car dealers...most will auction a Range once it's above 80k. Too many problems or it's had too many. So they dump it on the auction block and move it fast (like Pads Fan said).

The advantage though is that at auction, you could in theory get it much cheaper than third party/dealer price...giving you ample overhead for repairs...definitely not new engine repairs...but repairs none the less.

I guess for me it would all be dependent on price