General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought 96 p38

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought 96 p38

super clean air ride works perfect bags look good.. has CEL going to scan in a few minutes but other than that needs headliner fixed, radio lights up but no display and no sound, gas door doesnt shut, and brakes are very soft.. need to bleed first see if it takes care of it.. and sunroof doesnt move and dash says :sunroof not set: when to try to open it and last the auto dim mirror is broken looks like the fluid in it puddled up and doesnt work... anyone know about that radio thing and a good parts site for these.. love the truck been wanting one for years and i said the hell with it and got one. any help will help me a lot thanks guys!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The shop manual set is called the RAVE and free download is a link below. Atlantic British is one site.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Mudding
Default P38

Josh...Welcome to the jungle. I have two of these wonderful vehicles. It will take time to sort it all out (ask me how I know), but once done you will love the truck. Sign on to RangerRovers.net and do some searches for your issues. Its one of the most complete sights for info on these beasts. As you will find out, they love TLC. They also like to play...with your head. Like I said...I have 2 and would not part with either one. Good luck!
The one pictured is the wife's 95. Coil converted with 2 inch lift. Got tired of messing with the stock radio, and went with a Sony aftermarket. She loves it.
As Buss says...down load the manual. You will need it.

Attached Thumbnails just bought 96 p38-p38-rr-copy.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM
4wd High

great thanks for the info guys yeah i will be learning a whoole new animal... im a chevy guy at heart but wanted a little trail rig.... bout time! so here we go! hope shes good to me if i am to her!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the brakes maybe the ABS accumulator.

Have fun with the truck

Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Rock Crawling

I painted my headliner and it will never sag again!! haha Most people actually say it looks better than what was in there before.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
4wd High

still have not got it into my shop and in the air.. oh yeah do the bags need to be shut off on this before lifting on these? and @ krazz id like to see some pics of that if you don't mid sharing :P

Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chevy man ehh? Well, the little aluminum v8s in these are derived from a GM engine that LR bought the rights to. So LRs have a little bit of Chevy in them lol.

Whenever the battery is disconnected you will have to "set" all the windows. You roll them down and back up again holding the button once its closed until it says "window set". Since the sunroof won't move, you can't do this so it will just say "sunroof not set". Its kinda weird having to "set" windows but its for the auto up and down. In order to access the sunroof you will need to remove the headliner. So when you do the headliner, it might be wise to start working on the sunroof too.

The brake bleeding procedure is very complex on these. There is a procedure for it on the Rangerovers.net website somewhere. If that does not fix your issue, see this mini site I made for it a while back when I had issues with mine: ABS Pump

the auto dim mirror is broken looks like the fluid in it puddled up and doesn't work
Bought mine, and the same thing had happened. I did not really care about the auto dim feature, so I broke the glass on top of the mirror and tore it all out. Then cleaned the mirror behind the auto dim glass, and left the plug disconnected. So I have a stock mirror but no auto dim anymore. Yeah I'm a cheapskate...

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Joshw_7;370814] oh yeah do the bags need to be shut off on this before lifting on these?/QUOTE]

Just pic it up

Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had 3 P38's, you love em, then you hate em, then when you get rid of them you miss em. Air bags are the best/worst part of these vehicles. When you loose the air bags you don't have that to worry about, but it rides more like a discovery with out the E.A.S. My latest has Gen 3 Arnott bags, and compressor. I like the ride with the E.A.S. It is not a cheap system to maintain, but feels good when it works.

Quick Reply: just bought 96 p38