General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just BOUGHT My First P38

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the front air springs I have went straight to Arnott. You can find them on eBay as well in their store and it is usually a little cheaper than their site; or call them and say you want the eBay price.

Brakes you can get from AB or almost anywhere that you can trust.

The valve block is probably fine and does not need to be fixed yet or maybe for a long time. I understand the luxury of fixing things before they need it but in case of the valve block I would let it be until it actually started to act up. The compressor and the worn bags do not mean it is going to go.

Tie rod and drag link are something I need to do as well. I am going custom on mine though and going to beef it up a little. I will make a write up when it is done.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris X
I know you've been on the other forum, so for airbags/valve block contact Shupack at Rover Renovations would be my suggestion. May as well deal with an expert.

Brakes - I picked up a full set from Rovers North. I went with the Proline brand. Very pleased with the fitment and stopping power. Prices are reasonable too, much less than Genuine. It is an easy DIY job.

I did tie rods and drag link recently - I went with dealer parts due to a time crunch. IIRC the parts were less than $400 but I'll double check my invoice.

Welcome to the club! Look forward to hearing about your experiences with your new ride.
Thank you so much for the input. I'm so glad to be in the club! Picked up the car last night, woke up at 6:20 to wash it (did so at the local flagship via the self wash bays... even there, the warm water was still freezing to the car.. it was around 21 or so this morning), and then drove it into work. Looks beautiful

Originally Posted by handsome rob
For the front air springs I have went straight to Arnott. You can find them on eBay as well in their store and it is usually a little cheaper than their site; or call them and say you want the eBay price.

Brakes you can get from AB or almost anywhere that you can trust.

The valve block is probably fine and does not need to be fixed yet or maybe for a long time. I understand the luxury of fixing things before they need it but in case of the valve block I would let it be until it actually started to act up. The compressor and the worn bags do not mean it is going to go.

Tie rod and drag link are something I need to do as well. I am going custom on mine though and going to beef it up a little. I will make a write up when it is done.
Great insight. Thank you so much for all the help. I am going to try and see if I can get axxis deluxe plus pads for the rover up front as I had them previously on my bmw and they produce very little brake dust. Makes it far easier to clean up the wheels.

I will leave the valve block for the time being but still want to be proactive with the springs. Great to hear that it is easy to throw those on

I also have a ticking sound when turning the steering wheel (sounds like bb's falling on the floor) and what sounds like a foot pump being pushed when I apply the brake Something like this

Not sure what the brake sound is but I heard the rotary coupler is to blame for the steering wheel noise

Last edited by 2000_328ci; 01-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Mudding

She's a beauty! Looks real clean on the outside.

Could be the rotary - the sound from inside or outside the truck?

How is the braking - do you have a lot of pedal travel? Does the cruise work? There is a vac switch for the cruise above the brake that could be causing the noise if it breaks vac when you step on the pedal. May need adjusted/replaced.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I think you are hearing the brake booster when you press the pedal, you may sometimes hear the ABS pump as well. Pay attention to the clicking, it could also be a failing CV joint. If it is it then you will feel a small catch when at full lock as it rotates around the bad part.

I hate to say it but get used to seeing your Rover at the gas station, it will be one of it's best friends.

Where are you located y the way? 21 degrees without snow sucks!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris X
Avoid Forever Black on the grille, as you have heard. Even if you do all the prep work correctly, and even if you go to the extreme to get the grille cleaned and prepped, it likely will not take the dye in a smooth and consistent manner. You end up with all kinds of spots and smears.

It does look a little better than Mothers Back to Black, but not on the grille, use the Mothers it will go on smooth. It will need touched up fairly often.

I'm just going to paint my P38 grille come springtime. I fouled it with the Forever Black. I was shocked really, I've used Forever Black on a myriad of old Saabs, Jaguars, even some Jeeps and never had it come out this bad.
OK, so I have forever black coming in the mail and am going to use it on the bumpers, side mouldings, and the area under the headlights.

For the grille, I will just buy mothers back to black and will apply it regularly. For painting it, what would you suggest? Maybe I should just go straight to that rather than using back to black as a temporary fix. The grille on the car is one of the few areas that looks really beat up and I want to fix it

Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Also, remember that you need 2 (two) pollen filters for this model

Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 2000_328ci
OK, so I have forever black coming in the mail and am going to use it on the bumpers, side mouldings, and the area under the headlights.

For the grille, I will just buy mothers back to black and will apply it regularly. For painting it, what would you suggest? Maybe I should just go straight to that rather than using back to black as a temporary fix. The grille on the car is one of the few areas that looks really beat up and I want to fix it
If it's real bad and you definitely will be painting it soon, then the Back to Black might just be something you have to clean off later before you paint.

I used Bulldog Adhesion promoter as the base coat. Helps paint stick to plastic. 2 to 3 coats. Then quality primer of your choice. Then quality spray paint of your choice. You could stick with plastic spray paint, but the Bulldog basically takes care of that so you could use regular paint.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you are sure you are going to paint then just do it first. When I have done shadow line on my BMW I used SEM auto trim paint. It worked great and was fairly inexpensive. I did not even have to primer it after I scuffed the chrome up.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Spent the entire day yesterday working on the car (installed new arnott gen 2 springs), took apart the valve block and put it back together with all new orings, and then today, detailed her all over.

Wash, clay bar, wax, forever black on the front bumper, rear bumper, and mud flaps, and installed xenon headlights. Unfotunately, one of the xenon ballasts is bad so the seller is resending one. Till then, I have one xenon and one halogen headlight lol.

Question... should I do the side moldings (mid level plastic along the doors) and the side skirts (lowest plastic part on the side of the car) in forever black? I did the bumpers but wasn't sure about those side pieces and the side mirrors. What are your thoughts?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have done the sides and the bottom skirts as well. You just need to be careful not to get the Forever Black on the paint when doing the sides on the doors.

I am lucky to get mine clean during the winter months let alone detailing it, good job on getting it in order.

Quick Reply: Just BOUGHT My First P38