General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchased pre-owned Rover, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased pre-owned Rover, need advice

Since my 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE was at 90,000 miles, and quickly going to hell in a handbasket, I just purchased a CPO 2004 Range Rover HSE (from an LR dealership) with 30,000 miles on Saturday.

One of the questions I asked the salesman was if the front diff recall work had been done on this vehicle yet, and he said that the recall was performed. Although the steering and ride are wonderful, how do I check if the work has been done. There is only one of the "Land Rover Service Campaign" markers under the hood, and it is from 12/03. Although I received all books and manuals with the car, the service history has not been filled out.

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The service campaign marker should have the number on it. Then you should be able to verify by looking comparing it with the listed campaign numbers on NHTSAs website.

Might also ask the dealership for a service record printout.

Regards

Last edited by ldivine; 03-02-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

those stickers are no longer used, if he said it was done, it was, the dealership is required to do it before they can sell the car. if you get down under the drivers side of the car, and look at the front diff/driveshaft flange, it should be attached with bolts. if it is, its been done.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. the 12/03 date on the plaque lines up pretty well with the rear air spring recall, so I figured it was for that. I am definitely going to see if they can get me all of the service records, but basically the salesman told me that they wouldn't be selling a car that didn't have that recall work done on it. The only reason I find this claim semi-dubious is because I am a little dissatisfied with my dealership experience.
The salesman was very knowledgeable and friendly. However, the car was delivered with an almost empty fuel tank, a coffee stain on the interior he said was "just detailed", the condensation filled taillight he promised they would replace was not, and the power folding mirrors are on the fritz (they fold in and out on their own accord, flapping like wings).

Overall I am very happy with my vehicle and the assurance that buying from a dealer provides, but I expect my vehicle to be perfect given the premium prices they charge.