General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Kit for 99 P38

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit for 99 P38

did a search but didn't see anything so was wondering if anybody's lifted a p38. i have already done the coil conversion but would like to put larger tires on it and get more clearance for off roaring. any thoughts appreciated.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 AM
4wd Low
Default p38 lift

i changed out my suspension with old man emu springs and shocks from lucky 8, probably could have gotten it cheaper but it was nice that it was sold together as a kit and did have everything i needed. i have a 2000 p38 that i bought with eas issues from the start so i don't know how it rode before but i feel lots of bump steer now. i've replaced all tie rods, track bar but still the truck wants to wonder whenever the road isn't smooth. i have since wondered if just raising the truck about 3 inchs has caused the problem???

Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Three Wheeling

yup! sure did! drag links are supposed to flat or near flat (parallel to the axle) when the vehicle is static. when you raised your RR 3" it meant the drag link is now at an angle to the axle.....when the suspension compresses the drag link moves moves up and the drag link "elongates" as it reaches a flat/ parallel position. this elongation "steers" the vehicle. in order to correct it you need to get your steering geometry closer to stock angles.

got any pics of your rig with the Lucky 8 kit? I would like to see it!

advntrjnky

Originally Posted by roversprings
i changed out my suspension with old man emu springs and shocks from lucky 8, probably could have gotten it cheaper but it was nice that it was sold together as a kit and did have everything i needed. i have a 2000 p38 that i bought with eas issues from the start so i don't know how it rode before but i feel lots of bump steer now. i've replaced all tie rods, track bar but still the truck wants to wonder whenever the road isn't smooth. i have since wondered if just raising the truck about 3 inchs has caused the problem???

Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lifted mine with a set of OME springs, as well as a custom set of spacers. Overall lift was about 2.5"

I'm running a set of 265/75/16 BFG AT's as well. This is what she looks like with it all together, custom sliders as well.

Name:  P1010288.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  162.0 KB
Name:  P1010289.jpg
Views: 5660
Size:  153.7 KB
Name:  P1010290.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  146.3 KB
Name:  P1010287.jpg
Views: 6069
Size:  185.4 KB

Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the info about the drag link not being level and how it can effect the steering. I will try to get some pictures on soon to show what it looks like but for now I can tell you that the connection on the drivers side is much higher than on the passenger side. I have briefly looked to see if there is a part out there that I can put on to lower the drag link on the drivers side but have not found anything yet -- please direct me if you know what I need.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Three Wheeling

I don't have a p38 (just looking at buying a playmate for my D1) so don't know exactly how the drag link is mounted. on other vehicles I have used dropped pitman arms (which I'm not sure are available for the p38). I have also used a drag link with an "S" bend in it (probably have to have one custom made for the p38. a third way that a friend of mine did on his Jeep was to move the rod end from the bottom of the steering knuckle to the top of the steering knuckle. he filled it with braze and put the tapered seat in from the top (not sure if the p38 is mounted on top or bottom).

Dave

Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM
4wd Low
Default drag link not close to parallel with axel

First time I have tried to upload pictures, hope it works. If it does you will see a picture of the lift on my Rover (please no comments about the lame tires as I don't have the money to do it all at once) and another to show how the pitman arm is attached to the drag link. I'm not sure how to lower the drag link at this point as I have yet to see anything online to make this adjustment, might have to fabricate something?

[ATTACH]Lift Kit for 99 P38-pitman.jpg[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails Lift Kit for 99 P38-lift.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Looks good! what size tires are you planning running? are you going to stick with the 18" rims?

you would need a new pitman arm that has a drop in it. you generally can't have the original bent because you would lose the required swing length.

i would think that a custom "S" drag link would be the easiest fix.

advntrjnky

Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 PM
4wd Low

the tire issue brings up so many other factors as there are very few wheel options available. i have found myself all over the place with sizes from 16-18 in wheels -- not sure yet at all.
back to the suspension i am reluctant to do anything with the drag link as i have changed both the drag link and trackbar to the heavy duty variety. i have been searching online and have found no good solution to bring the drag link to parallel with the axel (no-one in roverland seems even concerned that this could be causing this unwanted lateral movement). so my latest thought is that i need to look at the bushings on the panhard bar and perhaps that putting an adjustable panhard bar might help, what do you think?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Three Wheeling

I would call and talk to one of the companies that make the HD parts to see what they say after you describe your problem. I'm pretty sure they'll have some good insight into what is needed to help you out.

advntrjnky

ETA: your best bet is probably to make sure the drag link and panhard rod get close to the same angle is they can not be corrected to parallel.

Last edited by advntrjnky; 04-06-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit for 99 P38