General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for the outside air temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I thought our prayers and good luck had played out yesterday. We took the RR to do some shopping and I simply forgot to restart at the mailbox as we were leaving the house since it was a cool morning. I drove about 20 miles to our first stop and as I turned off the engine I realized I had forgot to do the restart.
I look down and saw the BOOK was on the AC control unit screen. We went in the store and 10 minutes later when I started the book was still there. Down here in South Louisiana any cool morning surrenders to the hot sun and the AC in the RR was failing.
I thought my extension on the cold AC air was gone for good because the book came on at every startup.
With the windows rolled down we made a couple of more stop and shops, and it was time to go home.
It was 80 degrees now and as we pulled into CVS I decided to stay in the RR and try a restart.
My method was to restart with out pulling out the RR key, and as I restarted it the book was gone and the AC started blowing cold air again.

The AC worked great for the 35 drive back home, so our good fortune continues...

Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Mudding

In another post I was having overheating problems in my 98 RR, I replaced the water pump and it looks like the engine is doing fine.
I thought it would not be related to the AC problem and the "BOOK" display on the screen.

While I was pulling off the old water pump I noticed a tear running most of the lenght of the surpintine belt, so I picked up a new belt and installed it after the new water pump was in.

During the test drive with new water and antifreeze I noticed the BOOK symbol was not on the screen when I first started the engine with the new belt, like it has been for almost 6 months. The AC started cooling quickly.
As you know I've been restarting the engine shortly after and the BOOK would be gone, and the AC would worked great again.

I thought it was just a fluke when the BOOK did not return so I ignored the screen. It's been a week now and the AC works every time I start the RR. The BOOK has not returned.

I've been crossing my fingers and praying a little for a miracle that the BOOK would stay away.
It's been 8 days since I replaced the belt, could that alone have been causing the AC to fail? Does the computer count the AC compressor revolutions? Did the failing belt cause the BOOK to appear?

I still have lots of questions and so far these 8 days on the road have been nice and comfortable inside the old RR.....

Old 06-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Mudding

Another odd developement happened. Since my last post almost a month ago, the AC has been working great, no Book on screen.
One day last week the weather forcast was 100% rain and we got 11.5 inches in 24 hours down here in south Louisiana. The ditches were full and several main streets were closed with baracades.
When I started the RR the Book came on the screen instantly. It was raining and raining and raining. I tried the restart trick but the book remained on. What's strange is the AC was working, and stayed on cooling the RR until we got back home.

Yesterday the sun was out and when we went out again the temp was 91 degrees and dry. When I staryed the RR the book was gone and stayed off all day. the AC has worked better than it ever did with the new "S" belt on the engine.

DID the 100% humidity bring out the BOOK on the screen? I believe Land Rover has made the AC controls too complicated.

My wife's car the AC is simple. Turn on the AC and you get cold air. NO sensors all over the vehicle to check things we don't need to know.

Again, so the AC on the RR is still working book or not.........................

Old 10-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Mudding
Default It's Working! Ice Cold A/C is back!

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to the forum, but today I repaired the A/C problem that has plagued my 98 RR for about a year.

I just have not had the time to open the hood and the tool box for several months. We have had deaths in the family and too many fires to put out to spend time on the Rover.

I did find time in the late evening hours to read everyting I could about the A/C system on Land Rovers.

I bought all the A/C tools I didn't have during that time and after reading a thousand post, some happy and some very sad how other Land Rover owners had to change just about everything that lead to other problems, I got to work.

In my inexperienced mind about A/C systems I was about 85% sure my problem was a bad TXV, or Expansion Valve.

There was not one available in any city in South Louisiana, so I ordered one from Oreilly's. The clerk said he found one in Texas and said it was the only expansion valve in Oreilly's stock inventory for the entire company.

It arrived last week and with shakey hands I followed the experts advise and replaced the valve, Pulled a Vac on the system, recharged the system today as Land Rover said it should be done.

My wife and I took the first short trip in a year in the RR and the A/C worked great. I even sat in a parking lot idleing for 15 minutes while my wife went into a local Ice Cream shop for two Choco Malts. It was the longest time in months with constant cooling on the RR.

I didn't have a temp gauge with me so I don't know yet the exact air temp was but it was blowing cold.

I just wanted to thank everyone here that posted a thought or read my many post about the RR's ongoing trial.

I also prayed a lot for guidence from above to help me keep positive that I could repair something that I had No idea what I was doing when I started.

Thanks again.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's probably too late to respond but on my 2010 RRS S/C the outside temp sensor is located in front of the radiator grill BEHIND the front grill. Mine was just hanging there and I have yet to see the spot where it was originally anchored.