General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Tech Help Needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Tech Help Needed!!!

Range Rover Classic
I was parking my Rover and I had to turn the wheel to full lock. When i did this it proceeded to make a loud thudding noise, and didnt sound right. I thought nothing of it at the time so i made sure there was no tire rubbing and left it alone. I came back to the truck and started to drive in it and major trouble started. First whenever I make a left hand turn i get major squeaking and thudding. I thought maybe the E-brake had become engaged, so i put it on and turned it off at a stop light. This solved the problem temporarily and i had no trouble making right turns. When i went to turn left again i had the squeeking and thudding again. It only does it turning left, and then it becomes constant. It is a very loud thudding and squeaking and it can be felt through the wheel when it thuds. Tomorrow is Labor day so I cannot take it to the shop, so i thought i would see what you all thought it could be. I am not mechanical so you kind of have to explain it to a liberal arts minded person. Any input is appreciated!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Major Tech Help Needed!!!

The thud is most likley loose radius arm bolts,the big bars that come from the frame to your front axel, each side has two big bolts w/a nut.you'll need a long breaker bar and a wrench to hold the nut , it requires alot of torque, just make as tight as you can !. they should be 22mm or 24 mm socket size bolts I cant remember.also check the torque of your front panhard bar bolts while your under there, its the bar that goes from the drivers side frame to the pass side axel.
Is your ABS light on ? you might have poped a CV joint, they will only fail if the swivel ball has no lube in it, if the squeek is from that area it will be an expensive repair.
Have someone rock the steering wheel for you and look at the front steering components, any thing look really loose ?

Old 09-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Major Tech Help Needed!!!

Thanks Alot for the advice! I will take your post to my repair guy, so he will take a look. I The squeak has gone away, and know I am only having the thud even without taking it to the shop. I dont think it is anything major, but thanks alot for the advice. I will keep updating as i find out what is going on.