General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May be buying a range rover

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The P38, the model years you are talking about are some of the most notorious problem year son RR's, whith that said I love the model. The biggest issue is neglect. If the Rover was not taken care of it will give you problems. They are however mostly ones that can be done in your garage with a good set of tools and a manual and time. A frustrating part is just because the dash readout says one thing is wrong it may not be it and really may be something else. All of the weird stuff is pretty well documented and so I think you would be fine.

Do not overpay and really check it out before you buy and you should be good.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by handsome rob
The P38, the model years you are talking about are some of the most notorious problem year son RR's, whith that said I love the model. The biggest issue is neglect. If the Rover was not taken care of it will give you problems. They are however mostly ones that can be done in your garage with a good set of tools and a manual and time. A frustrating part is just because the dash readout says one thing is wrong it may not be it and really may be something else. All of the weird stuff is pretty well documented and so I think you would be fine.

Do not overpay and really check it out before you buy and you should be good.

Thanks for the info/advice. Currently I was looking at spending about 9k for a RR, but if a few thousand more may spare my some pain by getting a not so problematic year it may be worth it. Which years are not notorious?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The P38 is from years 96-2002. It is known to have problems with the suspension, blend motors and other really small stuff. The good thing it has all been pretty well documented and is easy to fix.

I love th eP38 though and think it is a geat vehicle. If you spend 9K on one I think it is too much. You can end up with the same problems as one that was only 5K. Look around and find someone who needs to sell theirs for some cash and you can score a great deal.

I bought mine for $1700 with a blown engine. I found a used motor for $700 and swapped it in a weekend. Some new airbags and it has been great ever since, 22,000 miles on it since then.

If you can turn a wrench it is not that bad to fix.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would be surprised what you can get a P38 for now days, the 2002s are very nice, but also kind of pricey. I got mine for only $2700. It ran when I got it, but had A LOT of little issues to tackle. I have since quelled about half of the nagging issues, letting the big ticket items go awhile longer until I can pull up the dough. The nice thing about the P38 that rob pointed out, is that they have information about them EVERYWHERE. Type a problem in a search engine, and chances are you will find what you are looking for. I have to admit, these vehicles do like to nit pick, but they are very easy to repair in comparison to other cars. I have opened my engine up and repaired items with relative ease. I am "mechanically inclined" but previous to the rover, I had absolutely no auto repair experience (I was scared to even change the brakes on my other car). If I take anything away from the land rover, it will be a very advanced education on how vehicles work.

Used parts are abundant on the web and there are many people out there, including us, that are willing to help and give advice if a problem ever arises. Another thing I would like to point out, when you look at forum posts on the range rover, nearly 80% of them will be users needing assistance on a repair. After all it is a support forum.

My advice is, do more research, and get to know the vehicle before you buy it. NEVER just buy on impulse. I spent almost 2 years looking for the perfect land rover and had test driven about 15 of them. And finally, the one I had been waiting for finally came along .

Last edited by LRScott; 10-08-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

There are quite a few good ones for sale around my area for around 5K, they have higher mileage and could use some work but they are out there for a good deal. The gas mileage is what makes many people get rid of them and they are scared of the repair costs so they go very cheap when people need cash. Just keep looking and but smart you can get a great deal.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for the advice, really helped me decide what I want.

I have decided once I sell my current vehicle, I will be buying a RR. It is a shame my car has not sold yet, as I have found two RR's for 6k both appear great condition, and recent replacement on the air suspension.

But I am willing to take my time while finding the perfect rover. I found a great guide online www.rangerovers.net

I found that very helpful and will be using the "what to look at while test driving guide"

thanks again for all the posts.

When I get closer to buying my perfect RR ill post a link about it to gather some opinions, I look forward to learning a lot about the car, and being able to eventually help others.
Derek

Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Drifting

Save your money and put it towards a down payment on a newer vehicle purchased from a LAND ROVER dealership with a FACTORY WARRANTY. My first Range Rover 4.6 was a nightmare. Although it was in very good shape, I just didn't have the patience for the fact that a vehicle designed to go so far from civilization could have so many features that would preclude you from doing so. It was totally undependable as anything more than a train car, and while I never was left stranded, it was certainly never at 100% from the day it left the showroom floor.
And facing the facts, most of the P38s nowadays ARE being neglected and have been for some time. I think a better bet that will give YOU a better experience would be a newer Discovery/LR3/L322. Trust me on this. Of course everyone on this board is encouraging P38 ownership because after all...misery loves company.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by thelokolobo
Save your money and put it towards a down payment on a newer vehicle purchased from a LAND ROVER dealership with a FACTORY WARRANTY. My first Range Rover 4.6 was a nightmare. Although it was in very good shape, I just didn't have the patience for the fact that a vehicle designed to go so far from civilization could have so many features that would preclude you from doing so. It was totally undependable as anything more than a train car, and while I never was left stranded, it was certainly never at 100% from the day it left the showroom floor.
And facing the facts, most of the P38s nowadays ARE being neglected and have been for some time. I think a better bet that will give YOU a better experience would be a newer Discovery/LR3/L322. Trust me on this. Of course everyone on this board is encouraging P38 ownership because after all...misery loves company.
Well since it is all manufactured on an assembly line chances are one is going to be total crap and it sounds like you got the one.

I would jump in mine and drive 3000 miles cross country like I did a couple of months ago with out a worry and just a fresh oil change. Then again, I am patient and I know how to work on the truck and I understand what it needs. Mine is 12 years old and so of course it may have a problem but it is all about normal service and looking for the warning signs.

For the money they are going for these days you cannot buy the luxury in any other vehicle. Dont buy the P38, but a Honda and be happy that you are like every one else, and have a lack luster driving experience. For me that is what really matters, the experience.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to say I dislike my P38, I would rather have something a bit newer and with a warranty. But, for me and others, that just isn't/wasn't in the cards and the P38 made more sense. I would probably have an L322 if it wasn't for the insurance cost on it, and since I'm young, it doesn't help.

My cousin had an L322 and sold it because it was very quirky. Sun roof would open randomly. Would decide not to start, or suddenly die. It had a warranty, but he just didn't like taking it in all the time and got rid of it. Now he drives a VW, but misses the range rover, I can tell. Although I have had issues with mine, most of them were just small items that wore out because of age and neglect. I love the L322, but you are still taking a chance with a rover either way.

Last edited by LRScott; 10-10-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Both of you guys could not have said it better. I don't mean to bash any Rover enthusiast, especially since my 2000 4.6 HSE was my dream vehicle (and my first car), and buying one in 2003 was one of the best days of my life. I am just trying to give a little context--for someone like me who loves the image and the character or these beasts, but has little time/patience or mechanical inclination, the P38 was not the vehicle for me. I live in a neighborhood where a lot of people bought them new and were sorely disappointed in the major quality issues. I kept mine for about 6 years--so I am going to go on a limb and say they were crap, but by now most of you guys have screwed yours together properly. Adding up the money I had drained into the 4.6, and the estimates for the repairs it needed, it was the same cost for me as getting a pre-owned L322. The L322 was more what I expected in terms of the Range Rover ownership experience and the quality has dramatically improved--but it still has quirks.
I understand if it isn't in the cards financially, but the wrong P38 can quickly drain one's coffers as well. I bought mine at age 18 and paying for replacement air suspensions, valve cover gasket jobs, even tires and gas, combined with depreciation, were financially crippling to say the least. I am not trying to be discouraging in any way. I just think anyone considering a specialty vehicle such as this should be fully aware of what they are getting into, so they can make an informed decision, and have a memorable experience for all the right reasons.

So that's just my $.02...it's about all I have left from my P38 ownership experience.

Quick Reply: May be buying a range rover