General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May be buying a range rover

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed him and said That I may be able to buy prior to me selling my current car, but it is not 100% yet. Asked if he is still open for me to inspect/ride it.

we shall see!

ill keep you posted.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in Seattle then if you are willing to drive a little there are couple over here in Spokane that are good deals. Heck, I just got a new company car and so mine will be up for sale soon, 135K and I am not asking more then $5K for it, believe me it is very road worthy. The only things on it that do not work right are the seat warmers and I have a weird code for the transfer case that I have not been able to track down but it does not affect anything.

They are out there, you just need to spend the time to find them. I see a bunch now and then on CL out there, in fact that is where I got my engine from, a 4 hour drive is all it took. There are a couple in CDA that are going for around $4K but they have some issues but still can be had for a good deal with some savvy negotiating.

When the gas crunch hit last summer they were for sale everywhere, but now that gas has come down people are still holding onto them. Keep looking and don't get too anxious, if you wanted to look at mine then maybe that would work too, I have 2 other D1's and my wife really wants a D2 for some reason.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is one in Spokane, been on here for a while so probably willing to deal.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/1400456011.html

One in Seattle that has the coil suspension and good mileage for under 6K

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/1415956303.html

Okay there is not much over there for a good price looking so quickly so it may take a while, we will help as much as we can.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 AM
Overlanding

Rob,

Thanks for the links!

I have extended my search from seattle to oregon/up to Canada and all around.
I saw the one you linked in Spokane ... not knowing much about cars scared me away from that one saying there is an unknown vibration

what do you think it could be?

I have never been a part of forums this helpful... it is amazing

Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The suspension vibration could be a coule of things and very hard ot tell without driving it. It may be that the driveshaft needs some help, it could be a bad balanced tire or who knows.

If you would like, I will give him a call and go look at it, I work in Spokane but live in Coeur d' Alene, that may help tell what it might be. PM me your phone number so I can get back to you on what I find.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the offer rob, I just may take you up on that.

I emailed the guy back that has the RR for 6200. Looks like i will be testing driving it tomorrow, any tips on what exactly i should do to it? (check acceleration/gear shifts) etc.

He knows i want to sell my passat prior to buying, so i may be able to talk him to 5500 saying its all the cash i can scrounge up prior to selling my current car.

thanks'
derek

Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Did you buy the one you listed? I tried to follow the autotrader link and it said the seller removed the ad and it was no longer for sale.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Overlanding

***VEHICLE LEAD***

The following lead was generated from AutoTrader.com's web site at http://www.autotrader.com.
To view the vehicle, click the link below:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=265227353

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Land Rover
Model: Range Rover
Year: 1998
Price: 6200
Mileage: 159000
Body Style: Sport Utility
Color: Black
Cylinders: 8 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic with Electronic Overdrive
Doors: Four Door
Stereo: Unavailable
VIN: SALPV1446WA377947
Description: Brand new air suspension! I've had this car for about 2 years and I hate to sell it but I got into business school so I have to raise cash to pay for it. This car was immensely useful, too useful in fact, considering how many hours I spent last winter picking my friends up from around town when they got stranded after the snow hit hard. I've also taken this car off-roading a couple times and was very impressed with what it could do. Never got stuck or anything, which is pretty good for a stock SUV. I've taken good care of this car and replaced quite a bit of parts in it so you basically have a brand new vehicle. Here is the list:

1. Brand new air springs in the front and the back
2. Brand new air compressor
3. Valve block and driver has about 40k miles on it
4. Engine has about 50k miles on it
5. Brand new water pump, pulley, and belt tensioner
6. All-Terrain Toyo tires are about 6 months old (comes with Les Schwab warranty which is free rotations, balances, and flat replacements)
7. Battery is about 2 years old

All my maintenance records are available on request. Car has been professionally detailed so I encourage you to come check it out! Asking 6200 obo

See more pictures here: http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/t...ativecashflow/

That is the add, i think the time expired on auto trader. I should be going to test drive tomorrow waiting on the email back

Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Overlanding

OK!

im going to test drive said rover tonight, at 7.

The only thing "wrong" w/ it so far (that i am aware of) is that the heat does not work on one side.

does this raise any large red flags?

any tips on what to look for?

I do not intend on buying it tonight even if it is gods gift to earth, I want my father to be present with me (never bought a car my self)

Thanks!
Wish me luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Overlanding

Wellllll

Just got back from the test drive. Prior to my arrival he locked the keys in the car while it was running, so it was idling for about 45 mins, and did not seem to overheat.

I took a look at his records, he has spent a good bit repairing all of the stuff listed at a shop in town.

The bad,
He drives the car in the winter only so had not driven it in a few months until tonight. It drove good, the air suspension work great no issues, then at the end of the drive i asked him to show me how to switch it over to the manual mode.

he tried to and it would not go over at all... he looked in the manual to see if there was a certain way to do it as he could not remember

the car also would not go into first... it would slide all the way down no issue and the lever appeared all the way down but the light showed second, this i thought was odd.

He said it was not like that last time he drove it, so he is going to take it into the shop and get back to me with what the issue is.

Also a big killer for me... the radio works but display is shot. I figured no big deal because ill put my own alpine in there, he said that they do not sell harness' for the range rover 98-2000 or something, and car toys estimated a 600$ job for a fabricated mount. is this true? i wont be able to replace the radio without some serious dough?

Also, i drove the RR while my girlfriend was in the back, she said that she heard some swishing sound like water was somewhere in the back left of the vehicle. any ideas?

Derek

Quick Reply: May be buying a range rover