General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melting Fuse Box and Several AC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I took a look at the fuse box this weekend, and I can't see what the dealer is talking about. The box looks brand new, unless the corrosion is on the bottom, I didn't actually pull it from the engine bay.

My book light is on permanently now, and the A/C only blows warm or hot air, so I assume the temp sensor and the compressor are going to have to be done.

I may not have mentioned this but I just purchased the truck. I've had it for less than 2 weeks, and I'm not pleased with the dealer at the moment. I have a buddy who works for Rover (not the dealer I bought the truck from) and he went over the truck before I bought it. Unfortunately, at the time, the book light was not on and he didn't have a T4 to run the codes at home. He listed a ton of things that were wrong with it, including many of the engine seals. I brought the list to the dealer and told them I wouldn't take the truck unless repairs were made. In the end, they fixed all of it. However, for some reason they either never read, or failed to disclose that the A/C system was packed with error codes.

I'm currently arguing with them about what steps they are going to take to correct it. My sales guy assures me that 'steps will be taken, and I'll make sure there is a happy outcome'. We'll see.

They had a 1969 88 series II there, I should have just bought that. Sure, it's less comfortable, but there is also a hell of a lot less electronics in it.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Drifting

UPDATE:
mlshelton was right. The shop foreman called me and stated that 3 relays were toasted. They removed the relays and checked for damage to the fuse box. He said it was purely cosmetic and did not need replacement.

After replacing the relays the A/C compressor fired right up and everything else fell into place. They said that none of the components needed replacement. They did caution me that the book! light may come on intermittently, but it should be rare and would be caused by slow moving blend doors.

They opted to not cover the repairs on the rear wiper motor, but I figure I can handle that one on my own. If anyone knows a good place to get one cheaper than Roverparts.com, please let me know.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Mudding

Glad it worked. Better than giving the dealer a few thou to resolve nothing. Just keep a spare relay or 2 in the glove compartment.

What's your rear wiper issue?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Drifting

The rear wiper just doesn't turn on. Shop says the motor burned out due to a bad ground. I think I'll just order one from Rockauto.com and slap it in myself.

Of course, now that I got all this resolved the CD player is giving me the NO PACK CDAC ER2 message. Looks like I'll be replacing the stereo as well.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Mudding

On the radio / cd issue - talk to the guys at Roverville.us first - they're pretty good. In our P38's we had radio problems in all of them - they can help. In the one we still have I had ended up ordering a compatible Clarion unit from Crutchfield which fit the rear space, mounting bolts, etc. but it was pricy.

On the rear wiper, just ask yourself how important it really is to have it - remembering many vehicles don't have them (albeit, mainly cars). Mine went out once and we diagnosed it not as the motor but as a BECM issue. Ended up putting in a cheap wiper relay and went around the computer. It worked fine other than it wasn't tied in so if you went in reverse it automatically went on. That was no big deal. Eventually, when the BECM crapped out I ended up getting it hooked back up as it was originally.

That motor might be a salvage item somewhere if you look hard enough, or are patient.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Drifting
Default Update

Hey Guys,
I've had the truck back from the dealer about a week now. They swore up and down all was well when they returned it. It's been pretty cold here, and I have not had a reason to turn on the AC. The heat seemed to work OK, albeit slowly. One day we had a little heat snap and it got up to about 75. I set the AC to 60 and it just blew luke warm air.

I don't see any popped fuses and the AC compressor appears to be engaging. I would expect that when you set the system to 'Auto' the fans should blow pretty hard to cool (or heat) the truck, then slow down and regulate the temp, correct? Mine don't blow much at all on the auto setting. If you set it manually, they work, but they just don't blow cold air. My book light is gone, most of the time. I saw it one day, then it disappeared again.

Someone mentioned that it would be a thermal switch on the AC compressor. Can anyone tell me where that switch is located? I'd like to test it with a multimeter.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other things to check, or potential fixes? Could it just be low on Freon?

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be low on freon but that shouldn't be causing your low air flow problem. Sounds like you have a problem with the blend motor doors which direct air flow. I'd try manually turning the air flow to maximum and directing it to the various positions to check the blend motor doors. Could also be the dash temp sensor isn't working correctly so it doesn't think it needs to increase the air flow.

If the book symbol comes and goes my guess would most likely be blend motor doors as as they are required to adjust they would re-trigger the fault resulting in the book symbol. But i'd probably check the temperature sensor first since it would be a much easier fix.

Regards

Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Thanks guys. The little lady has the RR today. When I get home, I'll check the air flow. Last time I took it to the shop the foreman conducted a similar test, and he said there might be a problem with the blend motors. However, after they replaced the relays they bet the baby's milk money that it was fixed.

As far as the temperature sensor, are we talking about the one on the dash, with the LED light, or the one on the heater core, or is there another one?

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Drifting

On a side note, is there anyone in the NoVa/Fairfax area that might be willing to give me a hand with the blend doors?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the heater core sensor as it is a likely culprit. The heater core one is just a clip on sensor too so it's not that time consuming to replace and is relatively cheap.

If you adjust the HVAC manually are you able to get cold air in some or any of the positions?

Regards

Last edited by ldivine; 04-15-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Melting Fuse Box and Several AC Issues