General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

multiples issues after running out of gas.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default multiples issues after running out of gas.

hello everyone,im here because i need a good advice ,here it where all start;a week ago on my way home from work i ran out of fuel ,so i had o walk a bit o get some ,i remember i got a couple gallons i pour that into the gas ,still could not crank, so i walked back to the service station and i got 2 more gallons but still did not crank so i spray some easy star fluid into the throttle body and it finally cranked up i drove home but since that little incident my 00 range rover hse has been acting very strange now it dont want to crank up unless I USE EASY STAR and it only runs for 20-30 mins and suddenly just dies off and its hard to cranked back up ,took it to autozone and got battery tested came out good starter tested which it was the same but when they tested the alternator the little device they use to test was saying that the alternator was bad and something about voltage regulator fault ,so they recomend me to replace it and i did replace the alternartor shortly after that bt it seems like it was in vain because still does the same thing thing sometimes it would star but cut off in about 20-30 mins AFTER stared n other time it woud not even star it turns over but it would not fired up so i tough i would give this site a shot before i take it to the shop ...please any advice ? or anyonme has ever gone throw this ?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get your fuel pump tested. Make sure it is providing adequate pressure. Also check the fuse, one of our members here had a similar issue and it turned out to be a hairline crack in the fuel pump fuse that would cause the issue.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And - if after 30 minutes when it cuts off, unplug a spark plug wire, attach a spare plug, lay on manifold (or have worthless brother-in-law hold it), and try to crank and check for sparks. No sparks would indicate crank position sensor going bad. But fuel pump problems mentioned above are number 1 on my list as well.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:24 AM
5th Gear

Thank you guys,by getings my fuel pump you id have to take to the shop or can i do it myself? And i will check my fuses again even replace that one for fuel pump , get back to me whem you have a chance guys i really need to get this thing running.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Replace your fuel filter first. The bad part about running your tank dry is that all the sediment in the tank gets sucked up too. It could have easily plugged the fuel filter. They are about $10 so it is an easy and quick thing to try. It is always the first thing I check when I have fuel issues.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 PM
5th Gear

Ok,thanks for the advice by the way i have a 2000 range rover hse and i was told that theres no fuel filter,so i want to make that clear i alrady bough a filter and like you said its only 10 bucks i just can not locate where the fuel filter is,can you tell me where i can find it?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by krazzz
Replace your fuel filter first. The bad part about running your tank dry is that all the sediment in the tank gets sucked up too. It could have easily plugged the fuel filter. They are about $10 so it is an easy and quick thing to try. It is always the first thing I check when I have fuel issues.
I neeed help here is the deal,i replace the crankshaft sensor last night thinking that was my ptoblem,it took me an hour to do it,so when i finally go in my truck to crank it up ,now this time the motor does not even turn over like nothing its turn so i want to know what i did wrong please any suggestions?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by roverguy00
Ok,thanks for the advice by the way i have a 2000 range rover hse and i was told that theres no fuel filter,so i want to make that clear i alrady bough a filter and like you said its only 10 bucks i just can not locate where the fuel filter is,can you tell me where i can find it?
I have a 1997 and your filter should be in the same location as mine. If you go underneath your rover start at the gas tank and find the line coming out of it and trace it forward. You should find your filter on the passenger side frame rail. It should be aluminum and slightly smaller than a coke can.

BTW, I am not aware of a single vehicle in production that doesn't use some sort of fuel filter. Heck, even race cars use fuel filters.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 AM
5th Gear

Ok i would get underneath my truck once again and look for it, and do you have any advice about the crankshaft sensor or why is the engine is not turning?

Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Rock Crawling

I would just go back over everything you touched while doing that job. Pay close attention to any electrical connections.

Quick Reply: multiples issues after running out of gas.