General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Classic Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Classic Help

I have a 1994 County SWB and I have now gone through 2 reardiffs, in less than 2k miles. The rear diff broke apart and threw a chunk out of the back of the housing both timesat the same spot. Has anyone ever seen this before? I showed my dealer the first one and none of the techs had ever seen a classic do that. What could be causing this?The only thing that Ican thinkof the extened articulation changing the angle of the drive shaft.

The truck's suspensionis modified with a3" rovertym lift, OME extened shocks, rear dislocation cones, removed sway bars front and rear, wheel spacers andextened bump stops. Icurrently am running 255/85 r16 interco trexusM/T's.

Let me know if this is a common problem or what I need to do to stop this? I know people that have lifted a classic 3" without buying newdrive shafts, rear links and radius arms; but I don't know what else could cause this to keep happening.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: Need Classic Help

No one has ever had this problem?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Need Classic Help

I've seen this before however when it happened the vehicle was in 4 low lock 2nd gear and the guy was driving it like a maniac...we could hear the SNAP-BANG from where we were watching and since he was a maniac he only laughed at us trying to wave him to a stop and only gouged on it harder....thats when we all started laughing. The snap-bang was then followed by a spine tingling grinding noise that sounded like someone towing 4 ton block of concrete down a paved road with gravel in between the two. Now the good part because he was in 4 low lock when the rear came apart the front continued to pull the vehicle forward while at the same time continuing to turn the rear diff until he came to an abrupt halt due to seizure of the rear diff and he still kept tring to go forward...come to find out he had gotten himself pretty well liquored up (thats not an excuse for his actions) and didn't know anything about four wheeling. Also saw a guy (not liquored up) do this while using his vehicle like he was a tractor puller. You never mentioned what you were doing when this happened? Hope it was none of the above. PS don't use crappy replacement parts and if you replace your ring and pinion its a good idea to have a reputable shop blue print it (and torque the pinion nut) to ensure the lash is correct.

Don't know if any of that means anything but, thats what I've seen...anybody else????

Robert