General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info on buying a Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:54 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on buying a Range Rover

Hey guys. I am new to this site so if my question has already been answered I apologize and maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I'm not new to Land Rover. I owneda Discovery I for about 4 years. Went off road quite a bit. Do to reliabilty issues (Engine over heated twice. First time I needed a whole new engine, second time they had to take the heads off.) I traded it in on a new BMW. Well I am bored of the BMW and would like to get a second car that I could do some minor off roading in as well as daily driving. I am looking at a Range Rover in the 10k to 12k range. Looks like 2000 is about the year. I realize miles will be high. My questions are what are the differnt model types. I see HSE and S in the ads. What do they refer to, motor size? Did they have navigation in the years around 2000? Suspension wise, were they coil or air or both? Any Suggestions on the better more reliable model do get?

Thank you

Old 12-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need info on buying a Range Rover

You can get a 2000 with fair miles for around 12k, at that year you shouldbe looking for a HSE (4.6 engine) instead of the smaller SE (4.0) model. The S models you see posted online were old SE models that Land Rover tried passing-off as newer models back in98-00, its a SE with the "E" scratched off(look close and you can see the remenants).Themain diff between the HSE(4.6)an SE(4.0) is the engine size, the interior/exterior are identical, maybe a little more leather/wood grain,and both have the same type of suspension(unless otherwiseconverted). The 00-and on models had optional navigations systems but youl'll be hard-pressed getting one at the 12k price range.