General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice P38 95vs96

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 12:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Need some advice P38 95vs96

Looking at getting a package deal of a running 95 p38 with what is probably a parts 96 rig. Haven't been on the board in awhile or touched a rover in a few years.

Used to have a 2001 Disco. Are the motor internals about the same? Are there any real lemon issues for the early p38's? Is there any way to get a bit more power out of the 3.9 motor?

Looking to turn this into a little overland rig for a year long camping trip in a year. Any input on just picking something else?

Thanks and cheers!

Zebra

Old 09-28-2017, 03:41 PM
8th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The early years had the most electrical and EAS (air suspension) issues but yes, the engines are basically the same. There are many common issues that can be found on rangerovers.net website that are all easily fixed. If you are having any weird electrical issues, replace the whole fusebox and a new one, do not buy used as they commonly go bad. If you plan on offroading, swap to springs so you don't get stranded. My buddy blew a brand new Arnott Gen 3 spring at Golar Wash in Death Valley and rode bump stops all the way home. Luckily we weren't very far into the trail.Just like any rover, maintenance is key to keeping her going.

Other common areas are coolant leaks in the passenger wheel well from heater core o-rings that go bad. I changed mine, actually the whole heater core, this summer in a day. Not too bad. There is a plastic nipple on the top of the radiator that is easily broken when working on the truck. If it breaks, you need a new radiator. Don't try to epoxy it or some other fix. It won't work. Frequent leak from throttle body plate gasket. Same typical head gasket issues of any rover.

I've loved my P38 and had it for over 9 years. She has 150k miles on her now and I am battling some oil leaks. Hopefully you fix her up and get her on the trail.