General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The New 7 Series

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The New 7 Series

I know, at first glance this title seems to have nothing to do with Range Rovers but I think that Range Rover customers find themselves in the same market as the high end sedans as they are in the same price point. Also, I know some people out here own a 7 or something in the same market (LS460 for me) so I thought it would make an intersting discussion.

I think that they did an excellent job with the new 7 (although there hasn't been a 7 yet that I haven't liked). The materials are quality and the design is more universally appealing (not as controversial as the last generation). Still no AWD but I imagine that they will add this down the road since all of their major competitors now have it.

I personally am fully satisfied with my Range Rover but I also already have something similar to this car in my garage. So I have to ask, are any of you thinking of switching or adding this to your list of cars?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Drifting

I'd rather go with the New Mercedes E-class which will have many of the S class features and is a smaller sportier car. Plus if you get the Bluetec Diesel you get great performance and 30 mpg. I can't wait tell LR starts using the diesel engines that are available in Europe.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling

The E is small though. I had a 2004 E for a couple of years and traded it in for the LS for more size.

It is an OK car but the S/LS/7/A8 are way nicer from a luxury perspective (agreed though that it handles better).

Old 04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Overlanding

I do think that the new 7 was well done in terms of materials, but I am not partial to the exterior, don't think it stands out. Nice car and the luxury sedans of the caliber (S/7/A8) are in the league of the RR, but they do have better rear leg room. Not planning on switching any time soon though.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Mudding

Probably the best sedan we've ever owned was the LS, like you. We toyed with buying another before getting her S550 last year. With the 4-Matic, I still like it more than I think I would the 7. Had a 7 once for about a year and it was plagued with computer related issues. Fun to drive and to hop on, but not near the comforting ride of LS or S - a little like driving our Sport vs one of the HSE's.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Drifting

There is a neat comparison between the S550 and 750il in the new Car and Driver. More Gadgets than in a Beachcraft Bonanza.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A8 for me I love my Rover but also love my Audi

Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Overlanding

having much experience with many brands (owning, and leasing), and being of the opinion that Bmw makes the best driving machines in the world, i will say this: the new 7 series is hideous to say the least, and at the most, nothing more than a pathetic attempt by a 'top-of-the-game' proud company to stoop to a new low, and copy a relative 'new-comer' just to possibly steal a few sales...

Old 04-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Rock Crawling

All of the manufacturers borrow from each other from time to time. However, even though the 7 does have a similar LS460 rear end treatment, they could never be mistaken for each other and are different from every other angle.

The new 7 hasn't seen the same harsh criticism that the last generation did. Everyone said that the last version was "hideous" when it came out and then it became the most successful 7 ever made.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Overlanding

^ 7 is succesful mainly because of "whats inside, and whats under the hood" is 'top-of-the game'... but why why why why do they have a mental block when it comes to the outside, which, arguably, is the single most important aspect of a vehicle... benz has no problems, audi certainly does not... WTF is wrong with BMW????????????

Quick Reply: The New 7 Series