General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Purchase' 99' HSE w/ 70K miles $2700

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HE_CPT
Why would you take offense dude? I did not say ALL.
There is nothing absolute about anything. Just like officers in the Army caught skimming off the top; some did. I didn't. Why would I take offense?? I know what I have and have not done.

As for for THIS specific mechanic, he was a pleasant guy, but his honesty I felt ( and still do) feel was questionable.
How could he tell the former owner ( the english lady), that it needed all new brakes, when the brakes were less than 2000 miles old? He said it, not me.
Also, when I asked him directly, he told me " oh, well, it probably needs a brake booster" (exact quote), and "probably a new ABS pump".
THAT to me, is guessing.
Bottom line, his quote was close to $4K. Which would explain to me that she did not want to spend any more money on the car.

And NO, I did not misunderstand him at all. People die on misunderstandings ( I have seen it in my own experiences). I know what to ask and how to ask; you merely let people hang themselves with their own tongue if they are not being truthful.
And NO, man, while I may be a "newbie" in the Forum, I have owned over 30 Land Rovers and Range Rovers over the 30+ years I've been driving.
If you took offense to my comment, there must be a little guilt in there somewhere..
After reading the above post, I apologize for the rant. But there is no guilt involved, I've never tried to upsell something for no reason and I've even talked people out of buying things before they need them (tires, brakes etc...) Once again, I apologize for getting pissed.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Drifting
Default what that a lumina?

Originally Posted by LRScott
Yep

That Lumina probably hated getting gunned at every stop and decided to commit suicide!

What kind of Mercedes is that?
Is that what that thing was.? I couldn't tell, but I figured it was some sort of early 90's american car..you should see them driving around Oakland with some POS $600 Buick or Chevy, with 23'' monster wheels ans all chromed out....they must really thing they are the sh*t in their crack-induced hallucinations.

Had one case EM me last night wanting to trade my 96' P38 for a " ...bad a$$ 1993 Chevy Caprice with 23s" like he put it. Yeah, right.

Which Mercedes were you referring to..?
I own a couple, but didn't see it on the photos(?)

Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Drifting
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by britishracinggreen
After reading the above post, I apologize for the rant. But there is no guilt involved, I've never tried to upsell something for no reason and I've even talked people out of buying things before they need them (tires, brakes etc...) Once again, I apologize for getting pissed.
Please, dude. None necessary. I totally understand.
The sad part is that for every super honest guy I know in the business, there are nine apples. Just they way it goes, I suppose.No offense was intended.

For what it worth, I appreciate the input nevertheless.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Drifting
Talking Once you go rover you never go back..i know, it doesn't rhyme..

Originally Posted by skyguy
This is a typical Range Rover story, people get told it will cost a lot to keep it running and they freak out. And a shifty mechanic steals the car from them puts a couple hundred into it and resells it for big coin. A mechanic at a dealer ship does not tell you about things you don't need because they are well trained and know the vehicle well. However they do not set the price Rover does. So bottom line is keep it serviced and it will treat you well. I've always taken care of mine (I've had 8) and sure they need repairs now and again but Once you go Rover you don't go back
Amen to that. Can't shake the Rover feeling ever since I bought my very first beat-up County for $160..

sold it two years later for $1600.

Attached Thumbnails New Purchase' 99' HSE w/ 70K miles 00-rr1.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first picture of the "plume" there is a Mercedes emblem at the front of your car. Just wondering what type. I've been looking into replacing my Hyundai with something that has a little more style. Our family has owned many Mercedes (mainly S class) and have always had great luck with them. Just looking around at different sedans... The thought had come across of having 2 rovers lol. Idk if I'm that crazy though, we'll see.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first picture of the "plume" there is a Mercedes emblem at the front of your car. Just wondering what type. I've been looking into replacing my Hyundai with something that has a little more style. Our family has owned many Mercedes (mainly S class) and have always had great luck with them. Just looking around at different sedans... The thought had come across of having 2 rovers lol. Idk if I'm that crazy though, we'll see.
If you are going German go BMW or Audi. I am partial to the 5 Series, unless you can go for a newer 6 series.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Drifting
Wink

Originally Posted by handsome rob
If you are going German go BMW or Audi. I am partial to the 5 Series, unless you can go for a newer 6 series.
I'd only drive a MBZ other than any Landie, but thanks anyway..

Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Drifting
Default 2004 C Class

Actually, I am surprised you picked that up..I happened to be driving the wife's that day. Funny you would ask, we're about to put it up for sale:
2004 C230 Kompressor Sedan, with only 39K miles. Sport package, moonroof, etc. uper clean; bought off the lease. Non smoker and extremely clean.

Attached Thumbnails New Purchase' 99' HSE w/ 70K miles 00-mercedes1.jpg   New Purchase' 99' HSE w/ 70K miles 00-mercedes3.jpg   New Purchase' 99' HSE w/ 70K miles 00-mercedes2.jpg   New Purchase' 99' HSE w/ 70K miles 00-mercedes5.jpg   New Purchase' 99' HSE w/ 70K miles 00-mercedes6.jpg  

Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Just wanted to thank all for their advice and opinions. Much appreciated.

Still enjoying it with no problems, other than the locks acting up and setting off the alarm once in a while.
What do you guys think....? Safe to drive long distance, like from SF to L.A......? ( about 7 hours)

Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be fine to drive. If you are skeptical or notice something strange, have a look or have a mechanic look at it for you. The alarm problem is most likely your door actuators.