General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to RR Shopping - Looking for advice - Just drove my first rovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RR Shopping - Looking for advice - Just drove my first rovers

Hi all,

Drove my first two rover's today - a 2004 disco in great shape and a 2000 p38 R.R. in "ok" shape.

After driving both, I decided the R.R. is much more my style in terms of feel/driving dynamics/interior/size.

The R.R. I drove I'm looking for some advice on to see if I should keep looking. It's a 2000 4.0, light green exterior, beige interior.

Owned by the same guy for 4 years and dealership maintained. Has had no major items addressed except a new A/C compressor. 137k. Probably a 7/10 in terms of exterior and interior condition.

A look down the oil tube shows some mild build-up. Coolant hoses stay soft while running/hot. Coolant looks fresh. Power steering leaks. Looks like original driveshaft. Transmission fluid doesn't smell burnt, though it's dark.

Car was converted by LR to a coil suspension.

A few questions arose:

1. The ABS light came on at start-up and stayed on until put in drive and driven about 5mph. Owner said it always did that and he assumed it was normal. Thoughts?

2. At approx. 40-50mph there was a whistling/whooshing sound coming from the left front that was throttle dependant - would increase with load and dissapear when I lifted from the throttle. Could've been an exhaust leak.

3. No body rust was noted but ironically he had just taken it through a car wash and the spare-tire well was filled with water (like 1" deep). Neither of us could tell where it was coming in - the carpets weren't wet. Did not look like a chronic problem, but I figured I'd ask if there's an easy fix for this.

4. The owner has never shifted it into the LOW side of the transmission selector. I did and it appeared to shift smoothly into and out of all gears, and I could feel/hear the transmission shift into low gearset. Any concerns considering it was never used, but appears to operate fine?

5. When the driver's side door is opened, it beeps incessantly as if the key is in the ignition (dash says the same). Easy fix?

6. Only leaks I noticed were weeping power steering hoses and a oil leak at the back corner of the top of the engine above the spark plugs. Valve cover gasket I'm guessing.

So my last two questions are:

Thoughts on this as a starting R.R?
What do you all think it's worth?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Thats normal.
2. My money would be on either the differential or wheel bearing
3. The drain is plugged up.
4. As long as it works, it works .
5. Does it beep when the engine is off and the key is still in the stock?
6. Thats pretty typical, not too hard to fix.

Would it be a daily driver? I purchased mine 3 years ago as "project" car and now it my daily driver, I love the thing. The 4.0 engine is a bit sluggish but I prefer it over the 4.6.

What are they asking? If it were here, I would expect the asking price to be around 5k, but it varies based on location.

Also, the coolant hoses should firm up a bit when the engine heats up. If they stay soft and squishy, the system isn't pressurizing like it is supposed to.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
4wd Low

I can probably get it for $3,200-$3,500.

I don't love that it has new tires, but they are a chunky futura tire. Brand new - 100 miles on them.

Steering/alignment feels like it needs some slight adjustment (i.e maybe new tie rods and an alignment). But that can be new tires still wearing in.

I felt coolant flowing through the top coolant hose, but it wasn't rock hard. Felt normal to me. I read somewhere that a rock hard top coolant hose was a warning sign on these.

Oh, and it beeps when the front door is open and says "Key in ignition" or something like that. Beeps almost non-stop. The key is not in the ignition

P.s. Why do you prefer the 4.0? I was really surprised an older 4.0 felt more sprightly than the 4.6 in the disco I had just driven. Not fast, by any means, but smoother and easier to pick up speed.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
I can probably get it for $3,200-$3,500.

Oh, and it beeps when the front door is open and says "Key in ignition" or something like that. Beeps almost non-stop. The key is not in the ignition
Thats bout the price range I just picked up my p38 w/ "some issues" AKA diy attention needed.

I'm interested in the stupid beep/gong w/ drivers door open and key NOT in ign. as I have same thing and NO response in my thread pertaining to that issue