General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New RRS Owner: key and tire/wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RRS Owner: key and tire/wheel questions

I am a new owner of a wonderful 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. Great car, but there are just a couple things that are confusing to me.

The first is the key... it only came with one. Now I hear that I must show up in person at the dealer who is an hour and a half away to order the key. Then, I have to go back again after they receive the key to pick it up in person. And, all this great service is mine for only $400.00. Seriously?!?!?!

Secondly, the tires that came with the car (20") have a sidewall that doesn't protrude enough to protect the expensive rims in any way. Even a simple trip to the car wash (spray only) incurs enough rim damage to discourage me to NEVER try that again. Sure, I can use the hand spray but it is cold, cold, cold here in Michigan. Are there any tire alternatives that will better protect my expensive painted rims?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wheels are 20" grey painted Stormer wheels.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Federal mandate requires dealers to get a valid photo ID and proof of ownership before selling keys. They are also special order from the UK, since vital vehicle specific data is programmed into the key, which is only available from the factory.

It may depend on the dealer, but you may be able to fax your info to the dealer and call with Credit Card number to order the key and then pick up in person (showing ID again). As a repair shop, I always fax customer information to the dealer when ordering immobilizer parts and have no issue. But like I said, it may depend on the dealer and customer. Its their butt on the line when they slide those parts across the counter.