General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Range Rover Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Range Rover Problems

Hello Folks,

I have a Range Rover HSE that has a few problems. One is the Idle goes high or it goes low, could it be MAF sensor. And the mileage has dropped as well per gallon of gas (always use high octane). The second is the Air Suspension is saying Inactive. The shocks do fill up with air but its been very cold as well. Just need a few pointers for these problems folks.

Goldsniffer

Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I will admit that I'm new to these trucks and am currently learning.
From what I have learned so far the throttle is a "fly-by-wire" system so the idle is completely computer controlled.
Being as such the correct battery voltage is paramount, if it is the original battery I would replace that first and buy the largest amp battery that will physically fit in the battery holder.
As for the MPG, when was the last time it had a tune up?
Is the air filter clean?
O2 sensors will have a huge effect on MPG (thats with any fuel injected car).

Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's some text from the shop manual about the error message:

Fault Messages
The air suspension has two methods which it can use to inform the driver of a fault in the air suspension system; the air suspension control switch LED's and the instrument pack message centre. When minor faults occur and the air suspension ECU is able to level the vehicle to the 'current' ride height, the control switch LED's will display the current ride height. When the vehicle returns to the standard ride height and further height changes are disabled, the 'HOLD' LED in the control switch will be permanently illuminated.

The air suspension ECU suffers a major failure and there is no air suspension control, all the control switch LED's will remain unlit.

If a fault occurs and the ECU can determine the ride height and the vehicle is not above standard ride height, the driver will be notified via a 'AIR SUSP. INACTIVE' message in the message centre. If the ECU cannot determine the height of the vehicle, or the vehicle is above standard ride height and cannot be lowered, the 'AIR SUSP. INACTIVE' message is accompanied with an alternating 'MAX 35MPH' message.

The air suspension system is a complex system and there a number of pages on it in the shop manual. Free download links, it is called the RAVE.

As for the idle, the MAF plays a major part, you might be able to clean it with a made-for-MAFs spray, but only do this when vehicle is stone cold and ignition has not been turned on to any position (it warms up the sensor heat spot). Pages attached.

Any stored codes would help, a parts store will usually read them for free, write down the numbers and re-post or look up in the RAVE. You MPG stinks because you are not going into closed loop fueling, this can be inhibit from the MAF problem.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RR MAF-IAT.pdf (353.7 KB, 196 views)
rr maf 2.pdf (442.0 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-13-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM
4wd Low

Hi,

The Range has a newer Battery, but i know how that goes. I am using a K&N filter for air with very little oiled. I cleaned the MAS with proper cleaning spray afterwards and it started the problems. Maybe self inflected.

Goldsniffer

Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

The KN filter does not do the MAF any favors. A code scanner that shows live data can show you if various sensor values are changing (working), or are out of range (coolant temp -40F and you are in a warm garage), or MAF values fixed (default) and not changing. Some sensors have fall back values the ECU uses to lmp home.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
4wd Low

Hello Folks can you advised me on a good code reader or scanner, and location of the plug for reader please.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Ultra Gauge, about $70, reader, resetter, scanner, display, programmable alarm points. Plugs into a port behind a small door or driver side.

Attached Files
rr obdii socket.pdf (157.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM
4wd Low

Hello again would a Innova 3100 reader work on the Range Rover as a code reader goes.

Goldsniffer

Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

It will work.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldsniffer
Hi,

The Range has a newer Battery, but i know how that goes. I am using a K&N filter for air with very little oiled. I cleaned the MAS with proper cleaning spray afterwards and it started the problems. Maybe self inflected.

Goldsniffer

If it were me, I would go back to the stock air filter setup. I have never been a big fan of K& N, especially in newer vehicles that are primarily computer controlled. .....2cents

Last edited by agthird; 01-18-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Range Rover Problems