General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noooooooobrakes help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noooooooobrakes help

hey someone wants to sell me a 95 range rover for a super cheap price
now engine and trans are great but truck has no brakes what so ever
now i am a mechanic by trade but this brake system is distant to me
i have been reading the forums and need help one if i should even buy it its under 1,500 us$ and 2 i see that some brake parts cost 1,200 dollars us
so im stuck on what i should do i dont even kno.. where to check first
pedal just goes to the floor? any input would help greatly

Old 06-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a P38 or classic RR? If its a P38, you need a new modulator or do a serious overhaul on it.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Default no brakes

i think its a p38 not classic how will i know its a 96 4.0
funnie i was hoping to talk to u lrsscott i read ur post to somone else about brakes yesterday and checked out ur site although i really dont kno where o start thinks for he quick reply...so mod not he abs pump the mod is the piece with the tank on it to fill the fluid

Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Three Wheeling

its the newer body style lrscott

Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Rock Crawling

If it is a '96 then it is the P38. Can you give us any more details about the problem? Does the pedal go to the floor, is it stiff, can you hear the ABS motor kick on, fluid topped off, etc...?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The modulators on the older (pre bosch, so anything from 95 to 99) rovers have a plastic washer in the modulator that will disintegrate over time and cause a sudden loss of brakes. When the failure occurs, you will hear a WOOSHING sound as all of the pressurized brake fluid returns to the reservoir. Often times the cap will blow off, but not always. I think mine is on its way, I can feel that CLICK that people warn about in my pedal. I will probably be buying a new metal washer for it so I can fix it before the plastic piece blows up, which can potentially ruin the modulator, and cause a crash...

This may or may not be the issue. As Krazz said, we need a little more info on the problem to give you an accurate diagnosis.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Default brakes

Originally Posted by krazzz
If it is a '96 then it is the P38. Can you give us any more details about the problem? Does the pedal go to the floor, is it stiff, can you hear the ABS motor kick on, fluid topped off, etc...?
pedal goes to the floor and i dont hear nothing? when its pressed altho i did not listen for it i dont think the fluid is toped off ihther i just looked at it..real quick

Old 06-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Rock Crawling

The brake system isn't that much different from any other vehicle. It just uses an electric pump to generate the pressure needed to operate it. The pump is located under the hood, over the driver's side front wheel. It is the pump with the lines going to the master cylinder.. When you turn the ignition on just before engaging the starter, you should be able to hear it turn on for about a minute especially with the hood up. Don't confuse it with the EAS pump which is near it. You might want to pull the fuse for the EAS to help avoid confusion. If it doesn't turn on, that is at least part of the problem and it probably won't be a cheap easy fix. If you are a competent electrical troubleshooter, you should be able to figure out why it doesn't turn on. To help, it uses a pressure switch which is attached to the pump. This triggers the relay, which triggers the pump. Hope that helps you out. Post back with the results.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
The brake system isn't that much different from any other vehicle. It just uses an electric pump to generate the pressure needed to operate it. The pump is located under the hood, over the driver's side front wheel. It is the pump with the lines going to the master cylinder.. When you turn the ignition on just before engaging the starter, you should be able to hear it turn on for about a minute especially with the hood up. Don't confuse it with the EAS pump which is near it. You might want to pull the fuse for the EAS to help avoid confusion. If it doesn't turn on, that is at least part of the problem and it probably won't be a cheap easy fix. If you are a competent electrical troubleshooter, you should be able to figure out why it doesn't turn on. To help, it uses a pressure switch which is attached to the pump. This triggers the relay, which triggers the pump. Hope that helps you out. Post back with the results.
thanks wilson i will go check for the sound wheres the relay for the pump how often they go bad u think its likely??? and thanks to all for ur imput

Old 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling

yes guys the abs pump turns on when the key is turned on not the eas pump also
it stays on is it sapose to? it even stays on when truck is running

Last edited by sickvehicle; 06-21-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: left out info