General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP !! 2005 HSE Front Axle Problem... HELP ! HELP ! HELP

Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !! 2005 HSE Front Axle Problem... HELP ! HELP ! HELP

OK guys this might seem like I have no idea what I am doing. I am very mechanically inclined and usually make all repairs myself. I have done lots of Pads and Rotors on all types of cars. This is my first HSE Range Rover and I have made a big mistake.....
I was trying to remove the Front Rotor and could not get it off at all. For some reason I thought, well this is a Range Rover and maybe the big nut needs to come off in the middle. I took that off, then realized that it looked like the Axle shaft had a indention in it for a press, like it could be pressed out. I used my puller tool and slowly pushed the axle out of the hub, thinking the hub/rotor would come off after that.

I figured out the Rotor just come off like all the other vehicles in the world. It was just rusted on.... HERE IS MY PROBLEM !!!!!!!!

The Axle came out of the hub and for some reason it feels like the Universal joint is spring loaded and I cannot straighten it out to push the splined shaft back into the hole of the hub.. I am not even sure if I was to even get it lined back up, Would I be able to get will it to go back in without pressing it in the opposite direction that I pressed it out. I have used Crow bars and everything else to try and straighten the axle back out to align the splines back up and it moves just a little and then springs right back to the curved position. Like a bent elbow.... The car is not drivable now, and if you even put in drive at any time the shaft/axle spins around without the car even moving and it tearing up the universal joint rubber boot and maybe even messing up the delicate splines... Dealer ship states they cannot look at the car for at least 3 weeks.. I am so screwed !!!!!!!!

Name:  IMG_0366.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0367.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  75.1 KB

Have a Great Day !!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: HELP !! 2005 HSE Front Axle Problem... HELP ! HELP ! HELP

ok, unbolt and drop down the two lower arms at the sub frame that connect to the spindle two 21mm bolts and 21mm nuts. should be able to installed the cv axle now in the hub. the nuts must be tighten back in standard ride height or the bushings in the arms will bind up. good luck

Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, the shaft will not simply slip back into the hub, it is a very tight fit. There is a special tool that must be used for it. I have not
encountered one where I did not need to use the tool for it. It is a Land Rover specific tool. It threads onto the threaded part of the
shaft, bolts to the hub, and pulls the shaft into the hub.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I FIXED IT !!!!!!!!!! Who needs the Dealership anyway.....Once lowering down those arms, I used a big Screwdriver and hit on these marks that were already there around the hub from someone else.Took me a 1 hour of hitting that hammer and spinning it to the next spotand thenhitting it again, it went 3/4 of the way in... I Pulled it tight up with the Nut....

Thanks guys Tested and just like new.... Todays a good day !!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iguess that works too. Good to hear it worked out.