General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oops, bought a 2nd P38

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta love those problems. Are you sure they just didn't drain the tank to work on it?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by krazzz
Gotta love those problems. Are you sure they just didn't drain the tank to work on it?
pretty sure doesn't look like its been touched.

all was going well on the test drive, then the heater core had a spectacular failure. bypassed the heater core at the gas station. worked great for a mile till the T connection broke from it being so brittle. i'll fix it later this weekend.

aside from that, everything else seems to be working well on it, aside from the speedometer which is dead.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Three Wheeling

so i bypassed the heater core today with a better setup since my original T connection broke from being so brittle. so i got it all sorted out and started it up to get it up to operating temperature to refill the system for coolant, and even after running for almost 20 mins its still blowing bubbles out of the coolant tank, it doesn't seem like the thermostat is opening.

is there a special trick to bleed the air out of the coolant system aside from the tank itself?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be pulling in air from somewhere and that is why it is bubbling. I have never had an issue with any air in my system before. You should replace all your hoses and thermostats like always when you buy a used vehicle, it may solve your issues.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Parking on an incline will help the bleeding process. I blew into the reservoir, don't know if it helped for sure, but I think it did. Of course that does not mean anything . The best thing to do is get the system full and let it sit overnight after running the vehicle for a couple of minutes. Watch your temps like a hawk!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your find! Once you get the minor things out of the way you will have a fine addition to your fleet!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Three Wheeling

adding a new rear driveshaft to the parts list.

its not because its broken, its because i just discovered that its not friggen there at all.

crossing my fingers that the transfer case isn't ****.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Three Wheeling

no start issue fixed, fuel filter was almost completely clogged.

starts on the first turn now. new plugs tomorrow, thermostat and fixing vacuum leaks.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Three Wheeling

new photos!

being out in the sun i can see the wax job it had was ****, need to give it a good compound and buff, but other than that, looks great in the daylight!!

Name:  DSC_0516.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  74.8 KB
Name:  DSC_0518.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  98.5 KB
Name:  DSC_0519.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  95.6 KB
Name:  DSC_0520.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  74.9 KB
Name:  DSC_0521.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  72.4 KB
Name:  DSC_0522.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  70.4 KB

Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Three Wheeling

this wasn't suppose to be there...

Name:  2011-02-13212300.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  127.5 KB

that is NOT the correct place OR the right thermostat. *sigh*

this guy was a ****in idiot that should have NEVER have been allowed to touch a vehicle. the thermostat on these is in a canister on the lower radiator hose. so essentially what he's done here is create a block in the system preventing coolant from circulating at all. took that damn thing out and replaced the CORRECT unit and got the system flowing again.

but now, its still having a massive over heating issue. looking like the head is shot. IF he had the head gasket done like he said he did, it would not surpass me if they used gasket maker to "create" a new one. we're going to end up tearing this thing down to get it healthy again, its just not happy at all and someone really ****ed it up that should have never touched it in the first place.

so for now until i have some room to get it into my shop (currently remodeling) its going to have to be put on the back burner for now most likely. i'm still not upset with my purchase however...sometimes this is how you get things cheap.

Quick Reply: oops, bought a 2nd P38