General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P O S's

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandrangie
Real good arguments fellas. Still, what do you have to say when consumers report and other syndicated publications rate the LR RR worst buy no matter what year or model?? I guess I'm just bitter I got a lemon.
Consumer Reports is full of ****. I have stopped trusting them years ago. They are very biased. Most professionals in the business have stopped following them a long time ago.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other thing Island, have you considered getting an LR3? They tend to be less buggy. Once I retire my rover, I will probably purchase one. The LR3, although still a rover, is much more like a "typical" SUV in terms of operation. When LR switched to the new Jag engines and new management systems, the vehicles seemed to straighten out.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Rock Crawling

Oh, sorry Island Rover, I miss-read the original post. I thought you were looking at purchasing your first Rover. Didn't realize you already had one that was giving trouble. On mine, I just took on the problems that I inherited, one at a time until they were all fixed. I had to just be patient. Good luck. By the way, as much as I love my Rover, I don't think I would buy one for my wife. I'm all tuned in to all of the little sounds it makes, and can normally fix it before something becomes a major issue. Most women will just drive it until they're sitting on the side of the road waiting for a wrecker and that's when things get expensive.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have multiple Rovers. My wife drives the D2 and I drive the P38 most. I used to use it for work and I am going back to it after a year and a half of driving a company vehicle. I hate the company car, I would drive the P38 any day over the hum drum that everyone else drives. Both my cars I would drive across the country in with out thinking other than planning my next oil change. I do not worry about my wife either since I maintain the vehicle.

You have to understand too, the technology in these vehicles is ahead of its time, there will be bugs to work out and that is what everyone gets so upset about. Give us your issues and we will help fix them, we may get a little hot when the Rover name is attacked but all in all we are here to help.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought a brand new Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S in '95.
J.D. Power sent me a satisfaction survey after 6 months of ownership.
Even though the car had been into the dealer 8 times in those 6 months for warranty work I reported 100% satisfaction and 100% trouble free because I was such a huge GM guy.

Reports and surveys are not accurate.

My 1997 Discovery has over 200,000 miles on it, I am the second owner, I bought it with 152,change.
That was 4 years and $1500 in repairs ago.
It helps if you do most of your own work and stay out of the dealer except for warranty work.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Islandrangie is right.

they are junk. engines blow up, radiators go, drivelines are junk. I whole heartedly agree.

PS: What's a good price on a RR CLassic? I'm starting to get the itch. not getting rid of my Disco, but, the classic is really growing on me.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling

I think he was kidding.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, I hope so. Sometimes its a little tough to read into the sarcasm on the screen.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they are junk. engines blow up, radiators go, drivelines are junk. I whole heartedly agree.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i forgot my </sarcasm> tag.

but, let me tell you why I said what I said. I'm a vintage scooter freak. Between my wife and I we have a total of 18 scooters, most old, some newer.

Usually when folks base broad general statements on one or two bad experiences, they aren't around for the long haul.

That's not a dig at Islandrangie, personally, believe me.

I've just heard too many:

I just bought a _________ and paid __________. This thing isn't supposed to break after only _________, all I did was ________ and ________. Then I was told by the stealership that my __________ would need __________ and __________, to be __________ and __________. What a pile of __________.