General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P38 abs pump R&R procedure ?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P38 abs pump R&R procedure ?????

Ok So I need to remove and replace the abs pump this coming week and looking for R&R instructions. Can I depressurize it via pedal pump??? I'm missing the relay as well SO.... PLEASE, DONT tell me to download RAVE, as I'm currently having pc issues and it wont work And I'd rather fix the Range before my computer
Thanks,
Mark

Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a little website I created a while back when I did mine: ABS Pump

What the symptoms to your problem?

Also, please make sure you read the article before you start taking it apart, it can be very dangerous if it is not depressurized. My accumulator was so messed up that it retained pressure even after 30 brake pedal depresses. Letting the system sit overnight and depressing the pedal about 10 to 30 times the next morning just about guarantees there will be no pressure left.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 AM
Drifting

Very nice artical/write up LR Scott, Thank you much. My issue Is I have "abs,brake&tc" lights on and a SUPER rock hard pedal. The relay is missing and I have another on its way. But I'm doubting the relay is the only issue which is why I also picked up a pump unit as well.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The abs pump on a P38 is a pretty rugged piece. The only things that kill it are a bad relay making it run until it cooks or a bad accumulator that makes it cycle too often which also wears it out. Just having the lights on the dash dosn't mean it is time to replace it. I had all three lights come on from a bad brake light switch.

I would start by replacing the relay and the accumulator, then follow the diagnostic procedures here: abs I purchased the Falconworks ABS book and it was pretty informative, plus once you buy their book they continue to help by answering any questions you may have. I had the ABS and TC lights showing on the dash and was able to diagnose it as a bad pressure switch which I bought as a rebuilt unit from here: ABS pressure switch for Range Rover ABS-RR-PSW Z104

Here's another link to some usefull info: ABS Pump

Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Thanks for your very informative post Dulxr.... I bought good/used relay and good pump w/pressure switch& accumulator which should all be here by weekend. I just want to tackle al at once and have it fixed so I can start driving it.